London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
1 to 20 of 63 messages
17/12/2013 at 14:52

Hello - I work for an independent documentary film company based in Oxford.  We are  making a film about cats for the BBC in the new year.  I would like to hear from anyone who is having an issue with cats in their gardens.  All correspondence will be dealt with in complete confidence and by contacting us you are not making a commitment to take part in the final programme - at this stage, it's just research which could hopefully develop onto filming.

Jessica 

01865297220/07530724477/ jessica@landmarkfilms.com

19/12/2013 at 15:14

I am!

PM me and I can tell you more about the little critters 

02/01/2014 at 20:04

I'd urge anyone with a cat problem to contact Jessica - I don;t expect it will solve the problem but at least it might make cat owners think about their responsibilities.

If cat owners claim their cats are wild animals - fine, they need to be controlled and licensed.  If the cats are domestic pets - take responsibility for them - train them to use litter trays in your house or garden and take them for walks on leads.  These days it is a myth to suggest that the domestic cat needs to roam free.  Cats are the ultimate "no responsibilty" pets.  Why do non cat owners have to expend good money on "cat deterrents" ...........come on Gardeners and wildlife lovers.....get a grip.............it is not your responsibility.

08/01/2014 at 17:30

I had a problem with cats in my garden.  Whether any of the following anti-cat methods worked individually or combined I don't know, but I seldom get a cat in my garden now. 

1.  I planted prickly shrubs around the perimeter of the garden, ie berberis and holly.  I also planted a few curry plants in between, and in the spring I plant 'coleus canin' in the flower beds.  I trained the berberis to grow over the wall which cats were using as a springboard to get into my garden. 

2. I shred orange and lemon peel, and break up egg shells, to sprinkle in any area I think cats are entering my garden. 

3. I put down moth balls at meter intervals around the perimeter of my garden in places where cats could enter. Thank goodness I have a small garden!!

And to those cat owners who say I should not use moth balls because they are toxic - a) I can't imagine any animal eats something it doesn't like the smell of, and b)  I spend a small fortune on cat deterrents because cat owners can't be bothered to take responsibility and/or train their cats to use a litter tray, therefore I feel I have every right to protect my own garden.  I don't dislike cats, just don't want them doing their business in my garden. It's the cat owners who are at fault.

08/01/2014 at 20:06

I quite agree with Phillippa Smith2. I have fired off an email to the OP stating exactly what I would like to see done.

08/01/2014 at 20:29

I agree whole heartedly with what's already been mentioned. Why should I have to clear up the revolting mess and endure the stench which makes me vomit left by neighbours cat? I've tried sprinkling chillie powder but again like everything only work for a bit and in this rain what's the point of sprinkling anything? Now they have discovered the driveway-it appears to me a non win situation where the cats are in the driving seats!

08/01/2014 at 23:55

Yep I also have major issues with the cat next door for the following reasons...

1. It takes birds off the feeders
  2. Last year it took a nesting Bluetit from one of my nesting boxes up a tree
  3. It poops everywhere including the raised vegetable beds and my 6yr old daughters play area YUKKK!
  4. My dog then eats the poop Double YUKKK!!
  5. When I asked for a bell to be put on it's collar to warn the birds I'm told "it doesn't like them as they are uncomfortable"!!
  6. Cat owners really don't think that their 'fluffy moggy' could be guilty of such terrible offences
  7. As a responsible dog owner I 'scoop the poop'!!!...

I did suggest to my wife that we put the dog (border Collie X) over the fence and let it poop all over their garden but was told that I wasn't allowed to for some reason!! LOL

Sorry cat owners but please be a bit more responsible and fit your moggy with a bell (the same could be said for cyclist around here also!)

Just my observations and opinions I'm not really grumpy!!

Best

Higgy

http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.com/

10/01/2014 at 18:33

Higgy............Just out of interest I remember contacting the RSPCA with respect to cat problems in my garden ( at the time I had a neighbour with 6 cats ).  Their best advice was to throw all cat faeces back into my neighbour's garden.

I tried this method but unfortunately some hit the neighbour's car - he was not a happy bunny  I don't know why...........after all, he was the one who told me cats weren't a problem.  

As ye sow, so shall ye reap springs to mind.

You don't have to risk your dog - just empty your "scoop the poop" bag over the fence.  Fair do's after all.

22/01/2014 at 12:14

I used to regularly find cat mess in my borders from my neighbours' cats and would shoo them loudly out of the garden whenever they entered. Not any more. To my surprise, my neighbours (both sides!) asked me whether I would mind feeding their cats while they were on holiday. You should have seen the cats' faces when they first saw me walk through the door! I duly fed them and stroked them - in their own home -and have become their regular carer when their owners are away.

Since then, the cats have steadily extended their territory into my garden and - lo and behold - no more cat messes! The explanation must be that a cat does not defecate within its feeding area. As we live by a large lake, we do have to make sure that rat populations are kept well under control. I am pleased to report that the cats are doing an excellent job. They do take some other small mammals and birds too, but we have a very healthy wildlife population, so I believe the damage there is minimal. In desperation, and for the same reason, my mother used to put cat food out for her neighbour's cat and her garden became mess-free too.

It has to be said that both neighbours only let their cats out during the day and they wear collars and bells. They soon got used to them after a few days' of wearing them.

22/01/2014 at 15:11

I have held off on this thread for sometime... I am a cat owner ..... My cat does it business in a designated area in the garden.... No I can't be sure 100% of the time but 99% as I see him go straight there morning and night..... I have cats doing their business in my garden and yes it annoys me but what annoys me more is the dog owners that allow their animals to deficate on my front lawn as well.... Last week my 3 year old fell off her scooter straight into a nice pile of dog poo!!!!!!!!! I agree that "it's a cat it's a wild animal" is no defence and that owners should be responsible but there are some of us responsible owners out here as well as irresponsible dog owners out there!!! 

23/01/2014 at 10:57

Definitely pet owners that need training.  I have dogs and a cat.  We clean up after the dogs during walkies and when they mess in the garden and the cat is litter trained.

For anyone having problems with visiting ctas or, worse still, foxes I believe a device called a water scarecrow is very effective as long as you regularly change the location of the sensors that trigger the spray so they don't learn to avoid them.

23/01/2014 at 15:17

Has anyone actually heard from Jessica?!

I haven't and am beginning to wonder if I'm perhaps not alone....

23/01/2014 at 15:43

Perhaps her research didn't go as well as intended.

I have however found the answer to getting rid of cats in the garden. Have mice in the shed!! I had hoped when I manually evicted the three mice that the neighbours cat would soon be round (on its normal route to the five star toilet I provide) to encourage them to stay away. Unfortunately since seeing the mice I've not seen a whisker of the cat!

23/01/2014 at 16:15

My cat deterrent, dogs that loves to chase cats!! I only have to say CATS and they are at the door ready for action (not that they will ever catch them, far too slow).   

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36420.jpg?width=289&height=350&mode=max

23/01/2014 at 16:16

re; above, think this one is lying in wait and fallen asleep!!

23/01/2014 at 17:07

Oh dear - Why don't us nature lovers just live and let live? My cats are a Godsend and so is my dog, - The cats are too busy hunting to bother about the flower beds and the dog chases them off unwanted areas at my command - So there we are - a happy family.

23/01/2014 at 17:23

Jess.....sent your details to my buddy here in Bristol

23/01/2014 at 18:46

hello brumbull shouldnt it be hear hear old lad hee hee

23/01/2014 at 20:15

we have cats in our allotment but they sure keep the rat population down a bit.

23/01/2014 at 20:22

i have a catapult which i use. when i see them, i send a pebble towards their direction and they scamper off. when they see me walking on the streetor hear the sound of the key turning in the back door they scamper off. i still go round every sunday to scoop a few parcels they leave during the night. its very bad around this time of year, when the garden is virtually bare.

1 to 20 of 63 messages