London (change)
Sat 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
21 to 40 of 101 messages
20/06/2013 at 23:41

the water pistol might let off some latent (human) aggression but unless you spray them EVERY TIME they come in the garden you may as well not bother as it won't be a consistent deterrent.

Tiger or lion poo doesn't do anything (but it allows zoos to make money charging chumps to take away their waste)

Really- nothing short of netting the place will work. If you think ultrasonic deterrents work, try amazon or ebay and get another one.

20/06/2013 at 23:52

Hi Mike 160304, ultrasonics have been mentioned at least a couple of times. Before mine was half inched I had to replace the battery every two weeks as the only place I could site it was facing a footpath.

21/06/2013 at 08:21
salome2001 wrote (see)

the water pistol might let off some latent (human) aggression but unless you spray them EVERY TIME they come in the garden you may as well not bother as it won't be a consistent deterrent.

Tiger or lion poo doesn't do anything (but it allows zoos to make money charging chumps to take away their waste)

Really- nothing short of netting the place will work. If you think ultrasonic deterrents work, try amazon or ebay and get another one.

I have already bought a shop-soiled CatWatch and mains adapter on Ebay.

21/06/2013 at 08:37
Sam Fraser-Nash wrote (see)

Hi Mike 160304, ultrasonics have been mentioned at least a couple of times. Before mine was half inched I had to replace the battery every two weeks as the only place I could site it was facing a footpath.

Sorry, "mentioned", yes.  

My ultrasonic worked but used 6 AA batteries and I never knew when they were weakening, short of taking them out and checking them.

I have now, later yesterday, bought a much cheaper, shop-soiled CatWatch and mains adapter on Ebay, and the mains adapter is the main point - the maker says the signal is 35% stronger with the mains adapter, and the RSPB says the CatWatch works, but we shall wait and see.

Fortunately, I can site the CatWatch to cover the flower bed where we have 90% of the problem. To cover all the flower beds we would need at least 4 more units.

I got tired of trying to throw a pint of water from a big beer mug at cats. I did have a spectacular success with a big tabby Tom that ran up a tree, but it came back of course. A water pistol sounded great fun, but more fun than real deterrent, I think.

Those bottles of cat crystals etc are a frustrating way of spending a lot of money. Even the instructions sound a bit pessimistic - "remove old faeces" etc, etc.

21/06/2013 at 08:58

A Shotgun is pretty good

21/06/2013 at 09:13

NO ROD. NO

21/06/2013 at 09:24

Water pistol (or the hose...) is great if you can catch the little buggers in the vicinity. I've found powered ginger has worked pretty well. It's about 70p a bag (so very cheap) from my local Asian supermarket and depending on how bad the problem is, depends how liberally you need to sprinkle it about. Makes the garden smell like ginger nuts  

The areas I have noticed where they like to dig to poo/wee I have sprinkled hot madras powder. As the areas are often discreet, it doesn't matter about the colour in the beds. Enjoy that up your nose kitty mwhahaha! 

You do have to reapply it every so often (I'm obsesssive and been doing it every 3 days) but yes, it's working well and the cats are learning and its a very cheap solution compared to ultra-sonic things, lion poo pellets and other products which don't work. I've also got smashed up bits of sea shell around the garden for the slugs and snails which also have the benefit of annoying the cats too 

21/06/2013 at 10:53

Whenever i catch cats in my garden i always chase them off and shout at them.

Over time they seem to come in less and less so that is kind of a solution. They must hate me

21/06/2013 at 11:08

IS there a cat deterrant called 'Shoo Cat ' ? I think it came in a box of voices, and whenever a cat came in the garden, you opened the box up, set on LOUD, and it thundered out in stentorian tones, SHOO, CAT ! and they were only 2/6 old money for a voice rendition !  

Lion crap is for when a cat comes in, and you shout at the lion, 'YOU'VE CROSSED THE LION/LINE' , or whichever is applicable

I seem to remember a product a long time ago, called, 'Fox Off ',  but never actually SAW the stuff on any shelves. I have a sneaking feeling that the salesperson was one of the two Ronnies !!!

21/06/2013 at 12:16

I love cats and have always owned one until a few years ago but yes, they are a pest to gardeners at times.

My experiences and tips:

1) Ultrasonic device - works well on my parents balcony, but if you have sensitive ears (like me!) you can actually hear it. Also uses up a lot of battery unless wired into mains, as you'll activate it every time you are pottering about too.

2) Silent Roar never worked for me and smelt foul, as did everything it touched!

3) Pepper Dust and Organic Cat repellent from Growing Success (based on garlic powder) both VERY effective especially for sprinkling around newly seeded beds and pots (mine were marauded by cats until I found these). Pepper dust downside- disappears at the first rain. Garlic powder - last longer but you can see the whiteness of the tiny spots against the soil (if that bothers you).

4) I take lengths of bamboo cane and chop them to 30cm lengths, then stick these in the bare ground all around my garden - they can't get past them.

5) For larger plot of seed bed, I cover with a big, fine meshed cloche (folds up and goes into shed easily for rest of the year). It fixes into ground with tent pegs and works very well.

I also shoo them away whenever I catch them at it and throw water in their direction - keeps them away a bit, but one is very brazen and just waits 'til I'm out 

Lov'em dearly and would never harm one, but they've cost me a fortune in ruined plants and seeds - until I wisened up to all the above!

Good luck - remember they are creatures of habit, so whatever you do/use, you have to be religius and maintain your habit, to deter theirs.

21/06/2013 at 13:24

I have been having problems with cats - DISGUSTING !!!!  I took the advice of orange pe.el and that seems to working.  I cut it into shreds so it doesn't look unsightly in the border

21/06/2013 at 13:59

Hi Paddy,

Is the Problem cat a 'Marmalade' cat by any chance ? If this is the case, you stand NO  chance, Mate !

21/06/2013 at 14:19

Stangely enough one is !!!!!!!! It still worked lol !!

21/06/2013 at 14:27

Fine or coarse cut ?? Nowt worse than a coarse cut Tom !  They NEVER  forgive!

21/06/2013 at 14:35

I have put DVDs all around the edge of my new bed, they were happily replacing bulbs with cat poop. the DVDs seem to have worked. coffe grounds too. 

21/06/2013 at 14:43

Coffee ?     Cats LOVE a walk around the grounds

21/06/2013 at 15:20

Thanks for all the further ideas. Many of the "sprinkle" ideas obviously involve ongoing costs and work; many of the cheap ones like orange peel, holly, pyrocantha are not going to be very pretty and will need renewing, so that's work too.

But if the new ultrasonic (with mains adapter) doesn't work, I'll just have to try some of the other ideas!

21/06/2013 at 15:52

The Taliban have some inovative ideas about I.E.D.'s and dealing with Cat Ass Trophies !

21/06/2013 at 20:34

Has nobody else tried moth balls?

21/06/2013 at 20:41

Tried 'em, but they have the impact of a dum dum bullet when fired too hard

at the cat !! Good for a scatter effect tho' !

21 to 40 of 101 messages