London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 10°C
81 to 100 of 101 messages
25/06/2013 at 08:14

My CatWatch is now in place pointing centrally at a flowerbed from 14 feet away, using a 9V Duracell battery.

I would like to find or borrow an Ultrasound Detector, if such exists, that would measure the strength and frequency of the sound hitting the flowerbed.

Concept Research say in their instructions: "We are proud of our UK-manufactured products and we want them to work for you."

I also found their 12V mains adapter on Ebay and am about to install it. Is it OK, for the lawn, to make the 14-foot long cut with an turf cutter or knife, bury the cable about 1.5" deep in it and then smooth it down again, with watering?

I phoned Concept Research and found them very helpful. They confirmed that their tests show that the 12V mains adapter gives a 30% stronger ultrasound signal than a new 9V Duracell battery. And of course there is no fade-off with time that you get with any battery.

I'll talk to Concept Research again, new questions keep on occurring to me.

Mike

25/06/2013 at 08:26

Fairygirl - thanks - like this, you mean?. I asked cos some Forums do it automatically.

Tea towel - please do tell.

I like the one about the person who invented a universal solvent but couldn't find anything to put it in.

And the Irish torch - solar cell but no battery. Worked well in sunlight.

And the Irishman who wrote in his will that he wished to be buried at sea - six of his friends got drowned digging the hole.

Mike

25/06/2013 at 09:58

Liggylaura - the law about squirrels seems a bit complicated. As I think I understand it:

1)  It is easy, effective, but illegal, to use a non-harming cage trap and to transport the squirrels and release them to a new life elsewhere.  It is a criminal offence to do this and I believe that even if you are only caught with a caged squirrel in your car, you can be fined quite heavily.  The squirrel is not fined.

2)  Killing a squirrel by a relatively humane method (?) is not illegal.  But I think that people have been successfully prosecuted for cruelty (or is it "causing unnecessary suffering" etc) for drowning squirrels - and I can understand that, drowning must be a horrible way to go.

All very cheerful . . . sun's out, I think I'll go out in the garden.

25/06/2013 at 15:35

Scaredy cat plant seemed to attract my local moggy population.  Thought of sueing Thompson and Morgan for 'not fit for purpose'!

25/06/2013 at 17:06

I'm pretty sure you can legally just put a 4.5mm hole through a grey squirrel, as long as you've got the landowner's permission and you're really careful not to send pellets beyond the boundary ("squirrel fell off other side of fence with pellet embedded" is probably okay) or to startle anyone by shooting from within 50 feet of the centre-line of a public highway.

Yes, really, within 50 feet of the centre line, whether it's a single-track farm lane 9 feet wide or the A1 at Peterborough (where you'd be on the hard shoulder).

I suspect the fairground airguns were ordinary airguns with an adaptor to hold the corks. As long as you're over 18 and it doesn't shoot over 12 foot-pounds of energy, you're okay owning such a weapon in most places and can lend it to anyone over 14, if I'm remembering correctly. Be aware that a 0.5g .177 pellet with 11.9 ftlb of energy in it is a lethal projectile, and hazardous after a ricochet, so be careful with it.

Rather more effective than the corks would be a paintball marker, but you may get complaints from owners, who feel their precious little sociopaths should be allowed to torture your songbirds to death without fear of getting a sticky mess in their fur and a bruise.

Did you hear about the scientist who crossed a Scotsman with a Quaking Aspen and got something that can hold onto a grudge for 30,000 years and its wallet for more than twice that long?

25/06/2013 at 21:12

Have you heard about the hairdresser that X'ed a cat with a duck ?

She got a  plait billed ducky puss               , obviously.

25/06/2013 at 21:56

Charlie---Thank you for your......joke, re the scientist's hybribisation. Please go and take a very long holiday!

26/06/2013 at 22:11

I've got a great answer to this one as I like to grow my own garlic and really don't fancy it with cat-poo dressing! Go to the local "cheap" or "pound " shop, buy some cheap wire hanging baskets (they cost me under £2 each and last for years), remove the hanging chains and put them upside down ove the planted area.

My garlic grows up through them and the cats can't get to them . Perfect! I also grow other crops, seedlings etc. the same way

27/06/2013 at 08:08

Diana - thanks, that's an interesting idea for protecting specific crops.

My problem is the digging and cat faeces all along the flowerbed, that's why I am trying a CatWatch ultrasonic. It will be several weeks before I know how successful it is - or not.

27/06/2013 at 15:00

Hi Mike - you can use my method in borders too as the plants quickly disguise the wire baskets. I have also found some black metal ones with thinner wire, even less noticeable. I have beautifrul sea lavendar in the front garden growing througn one and I can't even see it! I also place them over un-planted areas. remember - a cat can't defecate if it doesn't have room to be comfortable!

27/06/2013 at 15:28

I would think that a system, similar to the farmers electric fence, but with a feline voltage, would, with prudence, no. not the cat's name, or Gordon Brown's political girlfriend,  after a few fur tingles, would deter puddy tats off the patch for a while. Despite many clains of moggy's not having learning capability in their beautiful numb skulls, they DO learn extremely  quickly. We sit out on wor front bench of a sunny morning, to eat wor brekky, and from 5 doors up t'street, Tiggy comes jogging down for his lick of the last of the milk from wor brekky bowls !   People say, cats are like the 'rice christians' of China missionary times. We call Tiggy, a Rice Crispy' ! No food, no affection. Give him food, and he's all over you like a rash !

28/06/2013 at 08:44

Diana - thanks again.

Mike

28/06/2013 at 12:47

I have 2 cats and have found them to be the best way to repel other neighbouring animals. However, even my own cats get a bit naughty sometimes and try to dig holes in the flower beds in my back garden! So, i use either cat repellent powder - which only really half works - and a water pistol! If i see them even attempting to dig a hole i squirt them Job done.

29/06/2013 at 15:12

Not sure how neat and tidy your garden is, but my cats absolutely hate rocket plants and will do anything to avoid going near them. Rocket isn't very pretty and it's quite big and droopy but you can at least eat it.

29/06/2013 at 15:39

I planted a row of rocket, and they all came up ! I was over the moon ! !

29/06/2013 at 17:48

Cats like loose soil to dig in, weeding by hand it a good idea as opposed to the hoe. They also don't like the area of my garden that I spread my shreaded pruned material its far to twiggy for their liking.  This won't stop them spraying mind you. 

01/07/2013 at 13:50

Thanks for response about mains vs 9v batteries.  Will try it but don't hold out much hope - death of a baby starling by black killer cat this weekend!  Right in front of CatWatch thingy!

Re squirrels - yes it is illegal to trap and transport them to another place. If you catch them then you've got to kill them cos they're seen as 'vermin' apparently? I've given up squirting it with water pistol - just shakes it head and keeps on eating the sunflower seeds from the hanging bird feeder!

Might try the cat pepper thing that someone suggested - or try to catch the black killer cat and put a huge loud bell round it's neck (that's not what I really want to put round it's neck~!!!! Joke: I do love cats but not when they kill 'my' birds and poo in my garden!

01/07/2013 at 14:00

Not read all this thread but has anyone mentioned pelleted lions poo? Sold at GCs no smell just sprinkle like fertiliser in the area you don't want cats.

01/07/2013 at 14:04

Sorry just looked on this thread again- the tea towel joke goes like this: The man who invented Cat's Eyes (for the road) says he got the idea when he saw a cat coming towards him. If it had been walking away from him he'd have invented the tea towel holder.......

Good jokes Mike!..

01/07/2013 at 14:19

I have mentioned lion AND tiger poo, ( how twee,         Poo !!!! ), but elicited little approval, disparaging put downs and ridicule.  Nay, apologise ye not ! I can take it !

Perhaps a little aerosol of big cat urine to really put the mockers on the puddy tats in de garding.

81 to 100 of 101 messages