Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Cats in my flowerbeds

My ultrasonic cat deterrent died, the products on the market are now different and I would appreciate any recommendations, whether about the best ultrasonic to buy or alternative methods of cat deterrence.

There were 3 cats in my front flowerbed yesterday evening and I really must do something about them!

Mike

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Spread teabags soaked in diluted Jeyes Fluid!

• Get a cat of your own... best deterent ever for other cats plus they very rarely do 'the business' in their own garden. On the otherhand, now the neighbours cats stay away, I have foxes cavorting in my flowerbeds so one problem wass just replaced by another.image

• Tried the T-Bags in Jeyes fluid, looked unsightly and didn't make a ha'pence worth of difference. Some toerag stole my ultrasonic device from my front garden. The only thing I've found that works is a big water pistol, legallity?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Holly cuttings sprinkled between plants.

• Peat BPeat B Posts: 441

a CATAPULT perhaps, loaded with small dried pieces of soil, aimed close to but not AT the crittur.   I am a complete emotionaly dedicated cat lover, but  enuff is enuff !!

• Rodgy-dodgeRodgy-dodge Posts: 115

I have a caterpult for the same reason, I have a cat but since the neighbours aquired two females we now get every puss and its relative paying a visit next door via my garden, and yes they stop and spray as well as poop! I kept all my birch twigs when I pruned the tree and as well as making good plant supports they keep the cats from doing their business on my newly seeded borders.

• Peat BPeat B Posts: 441

YO ! MY MAN !  You have a problemo !  Perhaps a visit to the local zoo, and mayhap to purchas a bag of finest kind fresh tiger shite ! Spread a bit of this around, and there won't be a moggy left in the neighbourhood. of course, whilst administering the stuff, keep yer own moggy INSIDE !  Cats are sensituive, humourless critturs, but have inadvertant flashes of lunatic funniness about them. Love 'em, me !

• DipsDips Posts: 1

I would stick with the water pistol if I was you. I have 3 cats who were all trained with spray bottles filled with water. They soon learn not to do something. I don't even have to spray mine now if they are being naughty just the sight of the spray bottle puts them off and they don't do it again.

The advantage of spraying them with water is that you are not going to hurt them so shouldn't get complaints from owners. Most cat owners I know use water sprays themselves so wouldn't mind. 

• I use moth balls liberally and frequently in my borders and they seem to work.  The only downside is that I order them off the internet and the postman complains that they make his other mail stink!

• chidderschidders Posts: 4

always make sure you return your neighours cats  'presents' back to where they came from - you're entitled to do so!