Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Cats in the graden

I think I read last year that Tea bags soaked in Jays fluid kept cats off the flower beds, do just put the tea bags onto the soil, could the jays fluid damage plants  image

• Just put lots of sticks in the areas where they poop and dig. Simple as.

• I put tea tree oil and citronella oil on tea bags, cats don't like them smell, but it won't harm your soil or the cats!  I also use the lots of sticks in areas of bare soil like blairs, you need to put in more than you think though. Good luck.

• Sizeyuk1Sizeyuk1 Posts: 125

Thanks, will try these remedies, but would still like to know where effect jays fluid has.

• It makes cats (and anything or anyone else) very ill or dead if they drink it. image

And it makes your garden smell of chemicals. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Nobody should condone any methods that will harm cats.

There are plenty of natural ways to deter cats, do not use any chemicals!

• Bamboo sticks, chopped up to 30cm lengths and shoved in soil anywhere there is a bare patch.
    • GARLIC GRANULES (brilliant for drier times - needs to be reapplied if it has rained, so not good for now - but works a treat as they loathe the smell).
    • Pepper dust (this and garlic granules both available from garden ctr and really do work if you persist).
    • Shooing them away when they are in your garden and aiming garden hose at them (i don't even have to go as far as wetting them - the mere sight of water coming out of the hose sends them running).

Above all - they are creatures of habit and are doing what comes naturally. Annoy them enough in this pursuit and they'll soon go elsewhere.

I love cats and would never harm one, so would never advocate using any chemical/poison - no way.

• I tried Lemon oil on teabags - it seems to work. The oil is not poisonous and would not harm the cats or the plants.

• There ya go theres a couple of great ideas and 100% safe.

Please dont use chemicals, i know our little pussy cats can be a pain, but dont harm them with chems.. xx

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

We've been having a problem with the neighbours cat and I'm finding using short canes in freshly dug soil and scaring the cat off when we're in the garden is having a positive effect Even though we both work full time.

When the vege garden is finished I'll be using chicken wire too keep the cats away.

• Sizeyuk1Sizeyuk1 Posts: 125

Thank you for all your replies, I also love cats and would never hurt them, so will not be trying Jays fluid. I will try the other methods instead.image