Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 83 replies

Hello, 

I have a cat which has recently started using my garden as its toilet, despite me shouting out of the window at it when I see it! I really want to stop this as I have a three year old who plays in the garden and we have started seeing large piles of excrement on the grass near her slide and toys. Also, the cats favourite place to use is the large border in my front garden, which next year I would like to turn into a veggie patch. So of course I want to break this habit as soon as I can!

I have heard that some things like cayenne pepper or 'cat off' type products have mixed results, so I would like to know if anybody has any child friendly recommendations. 

Many thanks in advance!

Laura

I can think of a couple of options for getting rid of the cat permanently , but best not to post these on this forum

Have you thought about one of those ultra-sonic cat deterrents ?

Hi @Lfin100.  This golden question has eluded us on the forum for many years. There doesn't seem to be a simple solution. I recommend making the garden less attractive for cats by not leaving any bare patches of soil (a freshly dug bed = luxury bathroom facility!) and thinking about your boundaries/fences (almost impossible to cat-proof). Common detergents include: large pop bottles full of water, CDs on sticks (?!), cat-off pellets/sprays, citrus peel (poor), and using spikey trimmings (like Holly) on no-go areas (quite good but needs to be maintained). There are others - I am sure you will have more replies. 

Toddlers, dogs and other cats are also good scaring devices! 

Good luck! 

Last edited: 11 December 2017 21:08:02

Firefly0

It seems from the evidence that the only things that really work are netting / chicken wiring all your beds / ground around the play area. Or the water canon type gadget that you are attach to a hose. Both undoubtedly work but are somewhat dramatic. Lion poo, citrus, lavender, etc are hopeless.

https://thescaredycat.com/contech-scarecrow-review/

Welshonion

Cats hate being soaked so buy yourself the most powerful water pistol you can find and squirt away! 

Advertisement

Mike Allen

Oh no.  Not again.  This question, problem continues to be a forum subject.  Please do a search on here and you will discover the multitude of cat problems.  Might I perhaps quote.  It is an age old philosorphy not to S*** on your own doorstep.  Politely.  Don't poo on your own doorstep.  Cats have taken this advice to the full.  Please observe.  Tom cat, pussy cat lives in a down and out household.  Time for a pee or whatever, ones own garden is a tip.  Next door 's is nice, well kept.  Here rest my deposits. Says the cat.  I like many other gardeners have ongoing problems with cats.  We have spent pounds upon pounds using pest controls etc.  The cats remain.  Going back in time,to the late 1950's  I attended police training school as a police officer.  One of our lessons was related to to the protection of animals act.  As I recall, amomgst the animals aforded protection were.  Horse, dog cow pig but no sign of a cat.  Friends I am not jesting.  In that clasroom it was no holds barred.  Language was at times bright blue.   Theorectically there was a reason for this.  It being . If you couldn't stand upto classroom abuse, insults etc.  Then how might you fare out on the streets.  So the lesson proceeds.  Then a young WPC.. Woman police constable asks.   What about my pussy.  I leave members to use their immagination regarding the replies.  At that time.  Cats were NOT protected under commom law.  As far as I know.  The law hasn't been changed, but numorouse cats protection societies have sprung up.  Sad to say.  the letter of the law is now made to look silly.  What can I say.  It's upto YOU.  Do whatever, keep your mouth shut. and let the world pass bye.

First time I enter the eternal debate on this conundrum. I have a cat, a garden, and lots of cats in the neighbourhood. At some point I noticed my cat did its business quite often in a secluded bit of the garden where a lot of mini bark mulch had collected. I started collecting and deposing the business and topping up with more bark, reasoning that I had no truck with the cat using that particular spot. So, perhaps a two pronged approach could work: make your garden unattractive to the cat by whatever means you have, but also create one or a few secluded spots that are premium cat toilet real estate. This should steer the cat towards the premium facilities. Another thought: a cat is one of the best means to keep other cats away from your garden. Work with the problem ... outright war is exhausting and could lead to despair.

Hostafan1

Another £1 for me. 

Clarington

Water pistol.

Unless of course it's your cat in which case train it to use a special litter tray outside.

Perhaps one day it will be illegal to allow a cat outdoors unless on a lead!!!!

Singing Gardener

How big is your garden? If it is reasonably small then a water scarecrow will work. My daughter, who also has a toddler, had cats leaving poo everywhere so I gave her one of these. It worked withing hours and now the cats walk along her garden wall but never come down into the garden.

Hopefully one day somebody will come up with an effective way to deter cats from coming into the garden but until then I support micearguers suggestion of a two pronged approach.  Unfortunately I don't think by 'two pronged' they meant a pitchfork

PS  In my younger days my mother kept cats ; over the years one Bengal , two Burmese and two Siamese ; these were NEVER allowed out except in a large enclosure in the garden !

I actually like cats , but there's no way these feral things should be allowed to roam the country ; speaking of which a newcomer across our road recently brought five (5) more to the neighbourhood .

My days of birdfeeding are over ; did I have a choice ?.............No!!

They say you're supposed to get on with your neighbours ; that's a joke .

no birds is just one of the reasons I dislike cats unless they are kept indoors and properly trained - not rocket science if people can be bothered.

Last edited: 12 December 2017 17:54:34

Seriously though , the devastation to birdlife (especially in the Spring) must be horrific ; combine that with deaths by accidents with traffic etc. ; it's a wonder there are any birds left . 

Advertisement

It is a given that cats eat way too many birds. My conscience is assuaged somewhat by the fact that in its 8 years our cat has caught about five birds (but many more mice). The past few weeks the bird feeders and the firethorn have been all a-flutter with tits of various sorts, starlings, blackbirds, thrushes, sparrows and all sorts, and all the while the cat has slept away the hours indoors. I'm reasonably sure it does not catch any during the night, as it tends to bring its catches indoors. Cats are a problem, but wildlife is under threat in so many more ways where great gains can be equally made, and a cat owner may make up for it in other ways. I try!

Steve the Gardening Vet
Lfin100 says:

Hello, 

I have a cat which has recently started using my garden as its toilet, despite me shouting out of the window at it when I see it! I really want to stop this as I have a three year old who plays in the garden and we have started seeing large piles of excrement on the grass near her slide and toys. Also, the cats favourite place to use is the large border in my front garden, which next year I would like to turn into a veggie patch. So of course I want to break this habit as soon as I can!

I have heard that some things like cayenne pepper or 'cat off' type products have mixed results, so I would like to know if anybody has any child friendly recommendations. 

Many thanks in advance!

Laura

See original post

Just a random thought, have you seen the cat going on the lawn? It is quite uncommon for them to do so. Are you sure it isn't a fox?

scroggin

I would dispute that it's rare for cats to defecate on lawns. I've witnessed it a number of times. They may prefer to leave their ' messages' in bare soil but they don't mind using the grass either! We get regular deposits on our front lawn. 

scroggin

It's 'common' around here.