London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 29 messages
07/09/2013 at 14:30

Hi

My new neighbour has three cats,and my front garden is now the cats toilet.

I have tried various repellants. These have not worked, I am getting so fed up with the smell and having to clean up. Please can somebody give me advice.

07/09/2013 at 14:35
Hi imi3 this has been put up so many times, the one i ended iup doing was ??400 or nearly on a fence on the back then Jeyes fluid ready to use or tin, this worked cats do not like it ,mind the plants
07/09/2013 at 14:38

Ground coffee would be my top tip. I too have suffered at the hands of the neighbourhood cats and tried many things before hitting on this. Visit your local coffee shop, they often give it away for free, and it's also not bad for the garden 

07/09/2013 at 14:44

I bought some granules from a smallish garden centre. They were only £3.50. Hang on, I'll go to the shed and get the make.. Vitax 'Scent off Granules' £3.49. These work! I posed this question a few weeks ago on here and got loads of helpful replies. Kept me quite amused waiting with my super soaker too! I have a glass of water next to my back door and chuck it at them too. By the way I love cats and have two - mine have a litter tray and son built a litter tray house thing for outside complete with a tiled roof and so no mess inside the house. Wish he'd go into business building useful things and it looks really good.

07/09/2013 at 14:51

I've just met neighbour's 2 new kittens... didnt have heart to throw stones near them - as instucted by their 'daddy' ! Just said 'shoo' politely.

07/09/2013 at 14:56

using strong chillis ( like norfolk nagas) may work? its what we try to do to prevents against foxes and so far so good? OR getting cats of your own :P

07/09/2013 at 15:03

Wouldn't recommend cars of your own - double the trouble.

Cats like soft soil. Anything soft, dug or undug is their preference. Ours like the leaf litter (pardon the pun) under an old tree. They will use and reuse the same area. They aren't fussy about it being new or clean so long as it's soft. If you could somehow compact the earth it would discourage them.

07/09/2013 at 20:56

Tried putting holly trimmings down, didn't deter them.

07/09/2013 at 21:24

Have you tried Growing Success Cat Repellent?

It comes as granules which you sprinkle over the ground. It leaves a garlicky smell which certainly seemed to deter any repeat of the problem I had with cats leaving their mess in my newly dug flower plot.

It is also safe around other pets and children.

07/09/2013 at 22:41

I use 'Silent Roar' which is Lion dung (who knows!?) expensive ( from Garden Centres) but seems to work for me,even after rain. Good Luck!

08/09/2013 at 00:02

Try old tea bags soaked in Jeyes fluid, or even better, Ralgex - cats hate it!

08/09/2013 at 01:37

I have a cat that visits, ( a big old tom) and he NEVER dug up my garden, he must have his old haunts to use. In 3 yrs of freshly dug beds and all kinds of other surfaces that cats are supposed to like, he has been a good boy.  He keeps down the rats etc, and mt wee dog is terrified of him. But recently, a new cat has come to the area and kept digging up my carrot bed. (hardly any carrots this yr)  I think Old Tom may be getting too old to patrol all of his territory. (he has been here for yrs, and no-one knows whether he even has an owner) New young cats don't last long here, as the road is not busy but is fast, and any new people who get a cat don't have it long so cats have not been a prob of mine. This is obviously a 'streetwise' cat, and I have heard them fighting at night in my and surrounding gardens. Old Tom was obviously the best repellent, but his power eppears to be waning.  I will be giving all of your answers due consideration, and if I find something that works, will let you all know. My so-called terrier seems to be useless, but as he has been trained to allow me to groom other dogs without jealousy, and plays with our pet rats, I can't ask too much of him!  A mouse ran under his nose last yr in the kitchen and by the time he relised that it didn't belong, it was well gone! Useless article!

08/09/2013 at 09:13

Many thanks to you all, for your advice. I will certainly start today,and hopefully by the end of the month they will have gone to pastures new.

08/09/2013 at 12:06

First thing I would do is dump the 'droppings' back over the fence.  Their cats, their ****!  If they are using the borders as a toilet maybe netting would discourage them in the short term and they'd find somewhere else.  If, as in my garden, they are doing it on the lawn it's a whole different problem.  I keep a supply of stones and lumps of hard soil ready and it does seem to have reduced the number of times the calling cards are left.

I'm assuming shotguns and flamethrowers aren't permitted

08/09/2013 at 12:45

Unless the neighbour has been spoken to about the problem and has been unreceptive, dumping droppings over the fence is likely to be unproductive and could be deemed as antisocial behaviour.  The civilised approach is always the best start.

As for throwing stones and lumps of hard soil at an animal - that's cruel and illegal and likely to warrant a visit from the police or at the very least the RSPCA,  and not likely to produce cooperation from a neighbour.

I'm glad you're not my neighbour - and I don't have any pets.

08/09/2013 at 13:49

I don't have any pets and would never throw stones at the furry purries. I use Jeyes fluid too, this seems to work very well, though I still get one black and white cat come in but just to drink from my pond

08/09/2013 at 14:08

I didn't say throw stones etc AT the cats.  I throw them to land near enough to scare them away.  Elicit a Pavlovian reaction if you like.  They associate their actions with a reaction they don't like and modify their behavious accordingly.

As for anti-social behaviour - letting your cats foul a neighbour's property ain't exactly a sociable act is it??

08/09/2013 at 14:36

Even thowing stones towards someone's pets is hardly likely to elicit a co-operative response. A water pistol is far better and the RSPCA are happy that it is not cruel.

The UK law acknowledges that cats cannot be controlled in the same manner that dogs can.

08/09/2013 at 15:01

I use a water pistol and rarely hiting them, it's just that they don't like it and eventually should avoid coming back. Throwing stones at someone elses pet is wrong. Deterent and no aggression is needed. If my cats had pooped in someone elses's garden and then started chucking it over my fence, I'd be very upset as that is then being aggressive. All it takes is someone to say "Please, could you pick up this poo as your cat did it..." i wouldn't mind. I would even put some of my successful granules down that I mentioned before for them. Cats are loved animals and cared for by most owners. We have a ginger and white, ugly monster of a cat that bullies my two and terrorises the neighbourhood - it even has upturned, slitty, evil eyes but the owners must love it, yak. But it's cards have been marked and gets a glass of water chucked at it, I wouldn't hurt it. Afterall, it's not its fault that it's an ugly, fat, unhappy excuse for a pussy.

08/09/2013 at 15:03

And the ginger thing is not mine. I have its address though.

1 to 20 of 29 messages