http://www.baabaapinksheep.co.uk/2013/05/cats-in-garden-complete.html

24/02/2014 at 16:43

Eh?

24/02/2014 at 16:44

Advertising for a book.

24/02/2014 at 17:14

Is that allowed? 

24/02/2014 at 17:18

No.  Best if we ignore it and then it will disappear into the midst of former postings that nobody looks at......

25/02/2014 at 10:17

We know from long experience that blog views don't sell thousands of books.

But aplogies if we've upset anyone. And we're still "hounded" by cats in our garden!

25/02/2014 at 20:56

No advertising?

So.  I popped into a high street store.  You know.  One of those shops where you hands over a pound, and gets a penny change!!!

Being a new boy on the block.  How far are we allowed to go, in respect of a bit of name or product dropping.

An honest question.  No offence intended.

26/02/2014 at 07:38

Mike, I think it's accepted on here that we can let each other know of bargains and good (or bad) service to be had - as long as it's not our company and we're not related to the owner or not major shareholders etc.  

If anyone has a company or a produce of their own that they wish to promote then they should pay for advertising in the proper way.  

After all GW magazine is a commercial company whose revenue depends on it's income from advertising 

26/02/2014 at 07:47

We had a thread recently, and last year, about various composts and their merits or otherwise Mike, and  what experience we had of online plant suppliers etc. which led to a thread about 'the good guys' - nurseries or suppliers who had given good service. We've also recommended GCs or nurseries we personally use so that others in our own areas can go there knowing what they can expect to find. That's the sort of thing that's ok 

26/02/2014 at 12:09

Hi Mike, i understand your question and the concern from other readers,i think once people get used to your name and get to sort of know you then they dont mind as  a bit of info on bargains is good as the others said, Like at the moment i cant get into the garage to make anything so iv noticed a really good looking Mason Bee  HoteL for £20 that im sure others will be interested in,it can be easily taken to pieces in summer to clean looks like a swiss chalet iv got to have one, hope sombody has a look and agrees its a bargain, good luck all,and thanks Dove for the hedgehog info soon as i can im building a couple,in the meantime the dog foods on shopping list,anybody want a dog biscuit,

26/02/2014 at 14:10
I think Dove and Fairy have given good answers, it's ok to make suggestions to each other as long as there is no financial gain personally (for example if Dove suddenly, tried to sell us all her marmalade she had made this morning LOL). In the end we are all here to help each other but not to make any money. I am very grateful of shop recommendations as I need to fill a garden on a budget
26/02/2014 at 18:23

Yes, but how do I stop cats using my small garden as a litter tray? Please.

27/02/2014 at 08:59

Sorry, Rosie, but all we know is that none of the methods mentioned in the verse work. Electronic "scarers" do, up to a point, but they're heavy on batteries (we use rechargeable ones). Back in the fifties, my Dad rigged up some sort of trigger wire on the fence, linked to a suspended bucket, that caused cats to be doused with cold water. That did work, but I don't have his engineering skills.And, (re: other debate), to put our "advertising" into context - blog views 10,000 from 77 countries. Book sales (possibly) generated approx 2!

27/02/2014 at 09:10

So your attempts to advertise on forums such as this for free are not successful in actually generating sales. Does that mean that your advertising should be allowed because you're just not any good at it or perhaps you are trying to sell a product that no one wants to buy? (Although since people buy tablets that makes your poop glittery one would rather assume you could sell anything on the internet).

I think companies who pay fairly to advertise and contribute towards the running of such websites like this would think not.

Rosie - there are many threads on this forum that actively discuss keeping cats out of the garden, I suggest you hit the search button and take a look at them. I will warn you now that now all people "offering help" are animal friendly and others just outright trolls intent on causing trouble. You might find some of the advice useful however.

27/02/2014 at 10:55

Hi Rosie,let me make myself clear i never have nor ever will hurt an animal of any kind,Right at our last house we spent hundreds of pounds on fencing to keep the cats out,we could not fence the front so we slated it,the new owner tells me he has now  built a wall, my partner Kate was almost in tears watching her nice garden being destroyed on a daily basis as well as having 3 beautiful slow worm killed,  so we tried the Jeyes ready mixed spray on the surrounds of the borders, we did this every other day for a weekish, if we planted anything we gave a little spray around the newly dug area as the cats love freshly dug soil, making sure the spray did not touch the plants, the visits halved in one week then stopped , we sprayed once a fortnight and had only 2 visits in 3 months, i also sprayed across all the driveway entrance and the cats would sniff it and walk on, No cats hurt as they just dont like the smell, i do understand its Not the cats fault, and at the moment our very nice neighbour has just purchased a nice tom so were trying the next door neighbour friend who feeds me sometimes way, hope it works as he,ll be round soon ,i find this ok as i get his company but Dug next door gets the bills   

hope this helps Rosie we know how you feel but they can be deterred without tears or harm good luck

27/02/2014 at 17:04

If you have nice fine soil, cats love it,SO....... just  put lots of flowers in your garden and any spaces put some nice rocks, stones, or ornaments, and hey presto pussycats dont have anywhere to poo, and so on to the next garden with nice fine soil, ahh it worked for me, and i have lots of pleasure  just lazing around in my garden looking at all my flowers and shrubs, and no cat poo. and yes i do have a cat , but she does not go roaming i walk her on a harness, in the summer, she has her own sunbed, and is quite happy. Good Luck everyone with cat pooey problems

02/03/2014 at 14:48

As our borders are all waterlogged my cat is finding it hard to find nice soil. I my greenhouse has become a favourite this winter, so I'll have to do a soil swap it seems. unless I want tiddle flavoured tomatoes! But I am annoyed with her as I've bought 10 lovely new polyanthus and filled my trough with new compost in readiness for planting. But guess who's taken it over as a toilet? Yes, so I dare not plant them as she'll be watering them for me!

29/04/2014 at 22:08

hi everyone I think I have found a solution to keeping cats out of your garden without hurting the cats.  We were hounded by our next door neighbours 3 cats doing their business on the soil in our garden.  We tried numerous things lions roar supposed to deter and pepper without success.   We went to visit my friend who has 3 cats and they   never went outside of her garden. She is one of the great people who think that cats should not be doing their business in other peoples garden.     On the fence she made what she called a cat tunnel.   The  simple solution was chicken fence wire half a metre wide so no sharp edges like barbed wire which would hurt a cat.   You just bend the chicken wire over the wooden fence in the garden and staple it down,.I would check with your neighbours to see if they want to keep the cats out of their garden first before you staple it over their side of the fence.   Lucky for us all our neighbours felt the same way so that they were delighted with the results.  Such a easy solution . When we came home I bought some of the chicken wire  from ebay which was the perfect size and placed it on the wooden fence around the garden.  I was a bit hesitant at first just because  the wooden fence did not look so neat with the chicken wire on it but hey presto since we have put the chicken wire up no cats now come into the garden.   We have seen  the cats   come up to our fence look up but turn away and go into some one elses garden.    Hence we are delighted that we now do not get the cats dirty business in our garden and the cats are not hurt in any way.   We know what it is like to have cats fouling in the garden.  Its not a pleasant thing when grandchildren play in the garden and pick up flowers where the cats have been using the ground as a toilet.    I would say to everyone give this a try but make sure that your garden is used all around the perimeters of the fence so that when the cat looks at the chicken wire it will not climb or jump into your garden     Good luck

30/04/2014 at 00:05

Freedom 2 That's fine but the cats come into my garden under the hedge !

email image
19 messages