London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
10/05/2014 at 18:47

Any ideas how you stop cats messing on the grass!!!

10/05/2014 at 18:52

There are endless threads on this subject..........lots of advice and tips............I wish you luck

10/05/2014 at 18:56

Thank you I need it!!!! 

10/05/2014 at 19:42

There are indeed endless threads, and funnily enough, tackling the owners of the cats and asking them to provide litter trays in their homes and enclose their gardens/keep them indoors to ensure their cats don't ruin other people's lives is rarely suggested. 

10/05/2014 at 19:45

Thank you that's very funny !!!!

10/05/2014 at 20:14

BBee...........actually, I think there was the odd person, me included, who suggested that very thing   Have a pet, look after it, and don't let it impinge on other's lives. 

Unfortunately, not a very popular view these days

Samantha...........you could be fighting a losing battle but still worth your while looking at the various "Cat" threads.............depends on how bad your cat problem is as to how you deal with it..............as I said......"Best of luck "

PS  If you come up with a winning solution.....do share it with the rest of us

10/05/2014 at 20:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TSxnDyJ-yI

Don't have any vested interest in this brand but reviews state that others are inferior. I have had a contech for years and would recommend

10/05/2014 at 20:26

Well said Philippa but it's best to duck for cover when suggesting that cat owners should take responsibility for the actions of their pets....

10/05/2014 at 20:40
10/05/2014 at 20:41
Half filled 2 litre bottle of water laid on its side
10/05/2014 at 20:54

Rescue a little dog - terriers are good.   They can be good at deterring cats.  Dogs can be trained - come on, we all know you cannot train a cat - they do as they like, and go wherever they want to.  For that reason I would never blame a cat owner

10/05/2014 at 21:02

Scroggin........I built myself a bunker when I first came  across the "Cat" threads a few  months ago as a new forum member. 

I still find it amazing that people are prepared to cover their gardens with all sorts of stuff.......pointy sticks, citrus peel, wire netting, cat scarers, water pistols, etc............... just to keep out someone else's pet !         

10/05/2014 at 21:07

Somebody told me to grow some Lupins, they like the colour and lick the green leaves and it makes them sick, I don't no how true it is but I will give anything a go !!!!!!

10/05/2014 at 21:09
It's not the cat itself our neighbours cat regularly comes into our house for a cuddle but it's the crapping all over the flower beds that annoys me especially if you have small children. As long as you aren't harming the cats then I'm all up for trying to keep them out of your garden.
10/05/2014 at 21:11

Tetley I know lots of people with indoor cats, who live in flats or by dangerous roads, or who have just taken the decision not to plague their neighbours.  Cats go where you let them, but they can't walk through walls.  It's not very funny as a pregnant woman to accidentally plunge your hands into someone else's cat poo as you try to weed your garden   Wasn't very amused to have next door's black dog wandering around our garden this morning either. 

10/05/2014 at 21:12

Samantha, then you have cat puke to clear up as well!!

10/05/2014 at 21:17

We'll that is true !!!!

10/05/2014 at 21:24

Tetley.............sorry but you can train a cat...........no different from a dog if you make the effort...........you can walk your cat on a lead.........just that most owners can't be bothered to expend the time or effort.

Don't advocate getting a dog just to see off your neighbour's cats............that is a very irresponsible suggestion.  If you want a dog...that's fine........but you don't get one to solve a cat problem.  Abandoned dogs are an issue which you should consider.

Cats these days are domestic pets........they are not wild animals and they are the responsibility of the owner........anyone who claims their Cats are "wild" animals should be looking to licensing them properly and keeping them under control.  The fact that common law has not taken this into consideration is not the issue.......pet owners should be responsible for their pets.....whatever they are.

10/05/2014 at 21:26

We once had a neighbour who had 4 cats, 3 dogs and a rabbit! I got absolutely fed up with having my seed beds destroyed night after night that I went out and bought 4 ultra-sonic cat scarers. It had a bit of effect but not enough (seems one scraggy old moggie was deaf! and our grandchildren complained they could hear this constant high pitched squealing every time they went down the garden). I then invested in a 'Mosquito' and a roll of orange electric fence wire + a bag of insulators and set up a criss-cross pattern over the raised 'seed bed'

** A Mosquito is a low powered domestic electric fence kit that gives a single pulse of high voltage but extremely low amperage electricity and runs off a small 12 volt battery.

At around 12.30am there was a double Yeowwwee! from the bottom of the garden followed by a 'clang!!'  On inspection next morning there were 2 divots in the seed bed but very little damage to the seed bed (the clang was said moggie scrambling under the back gate in its rush to depart from whatever it supposed had bitten its rear end). The 2 divots were so placed you could see it had come over the dividing wall, leaped immediately into the air and landed about 3 ft away on the same patch (hence the double Yeowwwee") and then escaped under the gate.

We were then trouble free for about 3 months but I had to remove the 'Mosquito' and its associated paraphanalia because as the plants began to grow they would touch the wire and the wire would cause the leaves to spark & shrivel.

The neighbour moved away about 3 years ago taking said menagerie with them and although there are other cats in the locality we don't get the problem any more just so long as I remember to re-charge the batteries in the conventional cat scarers regularly and remember to switch them off when the grandchildren come around (& back on again when they leave!)

10/05/2014 at 21:47

On 'Nightmare Neighbours from Hell' last night (I had insomnia, okay...!) were two women in Scotland who moved into a rental property, telling the landlord they had five dogs, but then it turned out they had over thirty rottweilers and similar, most of which were kept in a livestock shed in the garden.  The neighbours complained to them and then to the landlord, the landlord asked them to leave, but they wouldn't.  Eventually, the desperate neighbours started flinging poisoned meat over the fence.  And of course the women's argument was that the dogs were innocent animals doing what came naturally to them, and it wasn't their fault.  But that just misses the point.  You can't advocate poisoning animals, but what on earth did those stupid women expect?  It was actually the only thing that convinced them to move away. 

1 to 20 of 22 messages