London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
24/09/2012 at 14:10
Hi, I have a BIG problem with cats messing on my garden. It doesn't matter if the soil is freshly dug or not, does anyone have a proven solution? Thanks.
24/09/2012 at 14:16
dambuster wrote (see)
Hi, I have a BIG problem with cats messing on my garden. It doesn't matter if the soil is freshly dug or not, does anyone have a proven solution? Thanks.

This subject come up every few weeks-if you use the search facility at the top of the page you will find links to previous discussions-here is just one

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/cats/5487.html

25/09/2012 at 22:49

Wherever there is any exposed earth (usually freshly turned, but not necessarily) I stick short lengths of bamboo cane into them (the earth, not the cat ) and so they can't get in to dig.

I also found that pepper dust (from garden ctr) works well to deter, though you do have to apply after rain.

There is one cat in particular who is very brazen and she additionally needs the odd squirt of water from the hose to keep her at bay

I've also heard that you can buy animal deterrent sonic machines, from places like Robert Dyas, which work by emitting a very high frequency burst of waves that animals such as cats, dogs and foxes dislike, without causing them any harm - battery or main operated.

Luckily for me I never had to resort to this, as the cats have now gotten the message.

26/09/2012 at 11:22
Thanks for your suggestions ilovemontydon I have a rather large area of garden so thats a lot of bamboo canes. I am gradually close planting the area which seems to work, but it is between the roses where the problem mostly is so will try the cane idea there.
26/09/2012 at 11:55

I see.

My garden is small, so it's a bit easier.

Between the roses I have lots of small canes and I also liberally sprinkle pepper dust - works very well there.

If your garden is large, perhaps the sonic repellant is for you - it only switches on when it detects movement. My parents have it on their patio and balcony, where it works 100%

Good luck!

26/09/2012 at 12:18
Thanks, as we live near to a wooded area I guess strong twigs will do the job.
26/09/2012 at 13:50

I find twigs work just fine - used prunings from large fuschia in the spring - but was surprised to find lots of them started growing.  Not sure if this is a good or bad thing!

26/09/2012 at 14:32

i agree about the pepper it has worked very wel for me.

26/09/2012 at 14:41

Orange peel,soot,a water pistol or you can get a sort of hooter that frightens them off.Cats can be annoying and their pooh uninviting but they will keep those rats and mice from multiplying.never a easy solution.

26/09/2012 at 14:44

@ Carolinesmith & flowering rose

Twigs would do exactly the same asmy chopped up bamboo canes.

It's a question of interrupting their habit really - once they are irritated by your efforts to deter them, they'll figure it's easier to go elsewhere (like a neighbour's garden instead ) and stop coming to you.

I've had cats of my own and did the same with them.

27/09/2012 at 11:09
Carolinesmith Thats a good idea about using fuschia prunings as I have quite a lot, also a good way of propogating. Thanks for that.
28/09/2012 at 10:40

As a cat owner [my sons] I have no problem with squirts of water, or even a sponge ball, but please do not use those laser beam lights or throw stones like my neighbour does [his garden is 100% decked]. The laser damages the cats eyes and the stones have cut and injured my cats numerous times [he caught the corner of ones eye]. He has the laser sound thing but has it set on loud which is unneccessary apparantly. I prefer my cats to go in my garden and one way of keeping other cats out is to have cats of your own. I would suggest underplanting things like roses, perhaps with cranesbill or something [Rosemoor does it to great effect] as cats like open soil. Pea netting just laid on the soil is quite good. I am sorry that cats aren't more controllable but my cats belong to my son and I got him them when his father left 9 yrs ago so they do mean a lot and I believe that caring for them has helped him be the kind, considerate 15 yr old he is now.

28/09/2012 at 11:57

I have 3 cats and i dont mind the neighbours squirting them with water. I keep pots around the garden with soil in that mine use. Throwing stones is just cruel. Have put sticks etc in some pots to stop them and they all rooted. Yet more plants to find homes for.

07/10/2012 at 21:23

Orange peel cut up into tiny pieces seems to be working for me and looks quite decorative around my miniature roses.

06/07/2013 at 10:19

hi we bought this ultrasonic cat repeler for £30, it takes 2-9v batteries I advise everyone do not buy it we have been using it for 6-months now and the 4-cats next door just mess right beside or most times in front of it please ignore what the company tell you like they told us it does work[IT DOES NOT WORK AND IF A REP FROM THE COMPANY WISHES TO CHECK i WILL GLADLY GIVE YOU MY NAME AND ADRESS]my only solution at the moment is we bought a very powerful water gun at asda it seems to work when Im able to blast them with water,the gun cast £5.50p and I put double sided sticky tape all along the top of the fence and it does work hope this helps

06/07/2013 at 11:11

Being a cat lover and keen gardener i can tell you Fushia's are poisonous and very deadly to a cat. Please dont act in haste.

I recommend owning a cat is half the battle won - failing that - a water pistol should work. If you have tin foil rattle that - cats hate the sound of it.

The plug in devices - save your money - cats walk straight past them.

06/07/2013 at 18:38

Silent roar, lion manure has been the only thing that has worked for me. Not cheap but works a treat. I have contemplated taking my dog to poo on my neighbours flower beds too....that may also be a deterant lol

06/07/2013 at 18:51

...yvonne... just to confirm what you've said there, that has been my experience too with this product, although I know so many people reject it and claim it doesn't do the job... I begrudge paying for it... but I found that if you don't have too big a plot then 1 box might be enough and last for at least 6 months.. it trains the cats to go somewhere else and hopefully not come back...

I think where failures occur is that people don't apply it thick enough and be patient.. I find it takes a couple of weeks during which time the cat will compete with it and it will seem worse than before... then all of a sudden, they're gone...

I have a dog now...so less need...I'm managing without so far.. he knows when they're about and he's got a very loud bark !

06/07/2013 at 21:02

I also heard that lion dung works.

If your friendly with your neighbour - maybe see if he or she will go half?

Once i chopped up garlic and sprinkled it around the effected area. Guess what - the Garlic started to grow where one of the cloves wasnt fully chopped. I never used it for cooking. lol

06/07/2013 at 22:35

Some one on here had good results with teabags soaked in Jeys fluid

1 to 20 of 21 messages