Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

CELENDINES

Please help

Celendines - last year was bad this year it looks as if it's goig to be even worse.  Spent hours carefully weeding today but there must be an easier way to get rid of them.  Some I donlt mind but last year they stopped other things coming through/

Any suggestions would be greatfully received

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

They are almost impossible to weed out, as they have brittle tubers, which nearly always leave bits behind. The only way I am afraid, is chemical. Also you must prevent them from seeding, so remove the flowers.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Thanks punkdoc - have I left it too late to 'zap' them this year? 

Not keen on using chemicals but needs must unless they do damage to other plants? 

Any suggestions - I did take the flower heads off last year but they are back with avengence!!! 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Unfortunately Mutley - if you have them  - so do other people! They'll seed in from lots of places. If you can pick a dry, still day ( yes I know - fat chance at the moment!) that's the best time to apply weedkiller so that it's less likely to land on things you don't want to kill. Once there are beneficial insects about, evenings are a better time for using it too. Due to the milder winter lots of things are sprouting early and getting a foothold. You'll probably have to do it more than once and then just be vigilant. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Thanks for the helpful info Fairygirl

Any chemicals you know work?

Also I think they originally came from some dodgy turf I got last year as before that - nothing.  I'll be charitable and say that they probably came from neighbouring gardens although I've looked and nobody seems to be as affected as I am!

It's the foothold I cannot take - they look as if they are going to swallor up stuff so I'll have to do something and like you say be vigilant.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

They're very common in hedgerows and on grass verges too, so if you're near one they could have come in from there.

I don't use a lot of chemicals but if I need a weedkiller I always use Resolva. I don't rate Roundup although it's very popular.  You can buy it in a ready to use spray - which is fine if you don't need to use a lot, but I use the one which you dilute down, which is more economical. I buy it in my  local Asda as it's often much cheaper there.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Same here all - absolutely inundated with the little blighters. A friend said they just sort of disappear underground so I am wondering when that is!! I have hoiked a few out but there's a complete overrun of them. Can't remember them being there last year!

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

imageimageimage

I did spray patch to see if it worked and yes but the problem with them is they get tangled up with the plants and you never really get rid of them.

It is hard as when they appear is the same time as young bulb foliage and other plants emerges so spraying is difficult.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I spent hours yesterday dabbing them with glysophate on a paintbrush.

I hate the things also those tiny little leafed weed that shoots seed all over the place when you touch it.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks everyone - not that I would hope other people are blighted with them but they are in for a shock tomorrow (if it's not snowing here!) as I'm taking Fairygirls advice ad seeking out my nearest Asda to 'bulk purchase' Resolva, as they are in all my beds and I have a few.  I suspect they simply threw their seeds everywhere - war is declared!!!!!

Nice to know though that I'm not alone - lovely as they are to look at they are brutes which have to be dealt with!

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

I actually introduced them to my garden. I love 'em. They aren't doing that well though. I planted loads too. There's only one flowered. image It can't be anything to do with the solid as not far away they grow like weeds, image sorry, I had to. Well, they like damp shade. So improve the light and drainage and they might go on their own.