London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
3 messages
23/03/2012 at 07:52

Hi I have a number of carnation that last year produced a lot of flowers.That was the first year that I was successful with them, because normally I lose them over the winter.This winter I covered them with fleece and the look very poorly again, lost a lot of last years growth, yellow,and dead leaves. I live in shropshire, with an open garden with a dark, light soil. I remeber my dad growing them when I was young ans they grow large and survived the winters. That was in london with a clay soil.. Could anyone please advise. Many thanks

23/03/2012 at 15:17

Are we talking about carnation which are not hardy or dianthus which is?? Similar plant but both handle winters differently. Let me know because i have had excellent results as long as you buy a hardy version.

Kind Regards

Steve

26/03/2012 at 11:23

I too have carnations & last year was my best... being in east anglia again the soil is heavy plus I found they like sun/shade.. now I have finally found the best place I have managed to take cutting last yr which are growing... one idea as mine are now in a large pot while other garden stuff going on & they are fine.. is to somehow get some heavier soil & pot them then sink into garden...

email image
3 messages