London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 12°C
7 messages
11/08/2013 at 12:43

I harvested my container grown potatoes last week. Was a bit worried as hardly any flowers like julie & leaves all yellow, but a good crop.I left them to dry out in the sunshine  (is that right) on newspaper?? I put them in a paper potato sack,in the back porch which gets warm. I went to get some yesterday & to my horror some were a very pale green,When peeled they were white, but what have i done wrong?

11/08/2013 at 12:45

Left them in the sun.

getting them warm is not that great either. Cool place in the dark for spuds

11/08/2013 at 13:08

Thank you so much, I believed everything a well meaning person told me without checking!!!

Just off to move my potato sack..thanks again

11/08/2013 at 14:07

Remember to check the sack regularly too - if any go bad, the rot will quickly spread to any others which are touching it.

11/08/2013 at 14:09

Always keep potatoes in the dark. The green is bad for you so make sure it's all peeled off. Never keep them in plastic sacks, but I saw yours were in a paper one.

11/08/2013 at 15:27

We've had the most marvellous crop of charlotte potatoes - 15 or so on many plants and although a few had scab it does not affect the taste.  We are storing them in large double thickness brown paper bags, specifically designed for potato storage.  Any with a slight green tinge we throw away rather than risk eating at all.    Have nearly dug them all now and will be supplying a few friends as there are too many for us to cope with!!    

11/08/2013 at 17:09

No need to give them away. Charlotte will keep well, just don't wash them and store them cool and dark. My local farmer where I buy mine sells them for months.

email image
7 messages