Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Check your delphiniums for caterpillars

Hi all, after just checking my delphiniums, I noticed several growing tips had leaves which had been tied into distorted shapes by the silk of small caterpillars of the Delphinium moth, so I recommend you check yours asap.  These caterpillars will eat the flower shoots while they are small resulting in no blooms.  The easiest way to deal with them is to squash the distorted area between thumb and fingers - if you feel a slight .'pop', that's one caterpillar dealt with!  These pests overwinter inside the hollow stems, so best cut those to the ground at the end of the season.  Despite doing this last year, they have appeared again so vigilance is probably the best answer. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I shall go and have a look ..................

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Little beggars!!!  I only have one delphinium plant - I squidged 3 caterpillars, bdooly hill!!! image

Thank you Bob - have one on me 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• AWBAWB Posts: 421

A straight glass or a mug, depends on you mother.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Cheers Dove! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

What are the brilliant emerald green caterpillars that I have sen this year? Anyone know?

• If they are quite large and bright green, then they could be the angle shades moth. I have quite a few around the garden now.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

MM, they are quite large (though can't say that I'm a caterpillar afficionadoimage) Are they ok to have around?

Angle Shades moths are beautiful http://www.wildlifeinsight.com/Insight/?page_id=7404 - we frequently see them in this garden, and just recently I've seen the caterpillars feeding on valerian. 

The caterpillars may eat a few leaves and buds but why would anyone kill them - apparently some people do image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td4UTq1qyu4 

• As Dove says, they are a stunning moth and they do a have a nibble here and there, but they don't cause a problem. I'd leave them be, or if they are on a prize plant, move them to something else, they will eat lots of different plants. image