London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
13 messages
20/06/2012 at 22:04

Help!

I have a beast of a cheese plant that I grew from a sprout! the aeriel roots she threw out are trailing all over the place.

I have put 4 little pots around the base of the main pot, with some good potting compost in and put 1 of the 4 aeriel roots into each pot. The root is now threatening to bust out of the bottom of one of them!

What do i do next? Do I cut the root above the soil level? How do I progress from a root in a pot to a plant?

Help?! i'm such a novice!

20/06/2012 at 22:49

The roots in the pots won't produce a plant, I'm afraid - they just support the main plant.

However, you can take cuttings from the plant by cutting off a section of the stem with three or four leaves just below a leaf node (the lump that the leaf grows from). Take off the bottom two leaves and put the cutting in water. It will root in a few weeks and you will be able to pot it up.

20/06/2012 at 23:10
Thank you Alina. My 4 little pots are not needed and my dads in for a clip round the ear!! "of course they'll grow darling".....

Oh how I wish someone could show me! The lump that the leaf grows from eludes me!! I am just so nervous I will damage the thing!!

I had read elsewhere that they would root easily in water, it's just where and how!!

In years to come when I have grown several of the damn things, I will be able to explain how to another newbie!!
20/06/2012 at 23:14

Run your finger along the leaf, back to the main stem. Where the leaf stem meets the main stem it's slightly thicker, yes? That's what I'm talking about. To get a cutting you cut just below there.

Hope that helps!

21/06/2012 at 07:47
Yes that does help!!! Thank you very much!!! I'm off to butcher my cheese plant!!

Pretty soon I will be over run with them!!
21/06/2012 at 10:02

Because mine got so big last year-I did butcher it and replanted 6/7 pieces as cuttings but also with ariel root attached higher up the stem--just pushed it all into the compost-all took and now have a much more compact specimen in the corner of the room

21/06/2012 at 13:28
Haha sotongeoff! Mine is getting a little er... wild shall we say?!

I'm going to take a sharpe knife to it tonight and have a go at taming it!
21/06/2012 at 13:48

You can also use a process called air layering which will reduce the need for a large knife - just make a small cut above the node , get some spaghnum moss ( garden centre ) and pack it around the cut . Seal it all in with a clear plastic bag or cling film and you should have some new roots appear in a couple of weeks plus the added bonus of keeping all your fingers ! I' ve used this method several times but be aware that monsteras live up to their name !!! 

21/06/2012 at 15:13
Thank you Jean, that sounds like the most fun option!!
20/02/2013 at 15:08

My large cheeseplant looks like its sweating it is producing droplets on the end of its leaves. I have recently moved it from my old business premises to my house, is the change in enviroment that is causing this?

20/02/2013 at 15:29
mandy crisp wrote (see)

My large cheeseplant looks like its sweating it is producing droplets on the end of its leaves. I have recently moved it from my old business premises to my house, is the change in enviroment that is causing this?

Possibly or probably-it might be a shade warmer -especially at night-it will no doubt settle down-just a reaction

21/02/2013 at 17:03

I've had that happen to mine in the past and read somewhere that it happens when overwatered.  Could that be the case with yours?

03/03/2014 at 14:25

Someone please help me!!! My cheese plant has snapped into two. Please see picture!! My fault I hadn't supported it well enough. Please tell me what I can do to save it??? So love it. Please see picture

http://webkit-fake-url://3065666E-D592-47AC-A2A0-C263B4262C2C/imagejpeg

email image
13 messages