Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Cherry Tree

I have just had a company round to look at my pruning my cherry tree and he has advised to have it all taken down due to woodworm and rot in the lower trunk.  I can't see any woodworm holes myself, but as you can see from the attached photo there is some splitting.  He stated that if we have any wind, then it may cause a lot of damage should it fall.

I really love the tree and want to save it if I can, but am not an expert on this.

Any advice would be greatly received,

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

The rot on the left can only get worse.

I agree with your company's assessmentimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Thank you - was hoping it wasn't going to be the case image

Yes, I hate that sort of damage. It seems to happen a lot with the ornamental cherries.

If you get another one, be very careful with mower/strimmer round the base. Not necessarily the cause of your problem but often guilty.

• My sympathy - I bet it's a  gorgeous tree image

but a dead plant is a new planting opportunity image

And if you can locate a local woodturner (there are clubs in most areas according to Google), why not save a piece of the trunk and commission him/her to make you a bowl out of cherry wood - a lovely reminder of you lovely cherry tree image 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thank you - what a lovely idea

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Ann

If you are thinking of planting a tree in the same place don't plant another Cherry or related tree [ i.e. trees in the Rose family] there as the Cherry will have exhausted the particular nutrients they like and it will harbour diseases that affect that family. You should be fine with trees from other families [e.g. Magnolia] although you should give them plenty of fertiliser and compost for a good start.

I've seen these cherries in many gardens I've worked in and visited. The bark gets sicker looking, leaves turn yellow and bits of branch die back. No, they're not dead, and may not be for years, but are hardly items to beautify the garden.

No need to identify yourself HORTICO, all opinions and ideas equally valid hereimage

• Lion SLion S Posts: 263

Hortico is certainly right about trees being able to heal themselves. But, as Nutcutlet already rightfully mentions, this happens often to flowering cherries. Yes, it may live for a couple of years, but as long as you cannot see the inside it's just a danger on your property. Someone has been there to look at it and even though in the picture there are no signs of woodworm , there are signs of rot. There are no signs that the tree is healing. So, I agree with what the company has said. It's sad, but this tree has to come out.

• Sadly - I would have to agree Lion S - it is worrying that the weakness is to the side the trunk seems to be leaning ....... I couldn't trust it not to come down unexpectedly ......