8 messages
28/05/2013 at 17:49

I am a very amateur gardener, just trying to get grip with the basics. I bought my plant when it was about 45cm tall and planted it in a deep 40cm pot in ericaceous compost.  I wasn't sure if I watered it too much or not enough. After just over a year, when it was flowering the flowers dropped off and the leaves turned yellow and also started to drop off. I fed it worm juice. No better. After alot of research (it's impossible to find anything on caring for this plant!) I decided to feed it with an ericaceous feed with magnesium. It eventually died. 

Before I buy another - help - what did I do wrong please?

29/05/2013 at 11:40

It isn't really a pot plant as it grows into a large shrub, mine are around 12 feet tall. I expect it would be OK in a large pot for a few years before it outgrew it though. I get some dieback on the tallest shoots in a hard winter but otherwise they are very tough. I have acid soil and a reasonably damp climate for the Surrey/Sussex borders. 

First thing to check when any pot plant dies is for signs of vine weevil. These horrible little blighters will destroy anything in a pot.

29/05/2013 at 13:09

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I saw no signs of vine weevil in the soil, but I am far from being an expert. If it was so called 'physiological' what would be your best guess?

Here in Herefordshire we don't have acid soil, mine is neutral. Have you any suggestions whereby I could plant it out?

29/05/2013 at 13:33
29/05/2013 at 14:33

obelixx, thank you, I had seen that on my research. Maybe I should carry on practicing and learning!

29/05/2013 at 14:53

I'd always grow what grows well where I live. There are always plenty of lovely plants that will do that

01/03/2014 at 13:15

Have taken cutting of hookerianum  started to grow a little but now seems to have stopped, unfortunely I put it out overnight and worried as leaves look to be browning ,but have now put near kitchen window north facing.

Please can you help !

Kathy strotten

05/05/2014 at 21:05

Our ten foot high Hookerianum usually delights us with a wonderful abundance of 

'lanterns'. But this year there's just one or  two hanging sadly from otherwise bare,

twiggy branches.The only thing I can think of is that the surrounding 7-8ft high

camellias are stifling it.

I can't bear to see  it die but neither am I able to face cutting down my camellias.

I need some expert advice please! 

email image
8 messages