Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Chlorotic leaves

Never seen as many shrubs with yellowing leaves before. In fact only ever seen it in Camellias grown in limy soil.

Lonicera tartarica

Lonicera scopulinum

Rose Zepherine Drouhin

Viburnum farreri

To show but a few.

Anyone suggest a course of action?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I had all that last year Berghill, they all seem OK this year so far. Even weeds looked chlorotic.

I didn't find a cause. I think we may have had a discussion on the forum but to no conclusion

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Cheers. Now to find somewhere that sells Epsom Salts.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

I've never, ever had this problem before - but this year 2 amelanchier are suffering quite badly. I am going to try an Epsom Salts spray but I did wonder if it had more to do with the weather?

We had a wet but fairly mild winter. This was followed by very dry but fairly mild weather in early spring (no rain for 6 weeks) and then the current spell of quite wet but really quite cold conditions for about the last 6 weeks.

This seems to have led to a bit of stop / starting in plant growth.

I have seedlings which romped away in March / early April - but have completely 'stalled' over the last 6 weeks. We haven't had any frosts or what could be termed 'harsh' cold weather for ages but - with a few notable exceptions - daytime temperatures seem to have been stuck at around the 10 - 15C mark (often feeling much colder) for weeks. Night time temps regularly down to low single figures.  I haven't turned my central heating off yet & it's June tomorrow..... image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 811
    I was looking for Epsom Salts too. Just ordered some online from Boots, a kilo for ??2.49 with free delivery to a local store, being delivered tomorrow.
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Should add that I have never seen as many shrubs go like this in 40 years of growing things. Odd thing is that shrubs next to the chlorotic ones are normal healthy green leafed, even when from the same family.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

I was in Manchester last week with my scientists on their annual English immersion trip.  Found some Epsom salts at Boots and they had them at Superdrug too.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Likely to be down to the wet weather then. Last year we were drowning. This year everyone else gets rain and it misses us

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

I have a couple of plants like this too. Can I ask why you apply the Epsom Salts as a spray rather than just watering it into the soil. I have some ES but don't know how to apply it.