London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
20 messages
17/07/2014 at 08:07

Hi everyone, I'm new here but I need some help! I have a semi circle of grass alongside our house that we are trying to screen off and extend our small back garden. I attempted planning permission for a 6ft fence but the paperwork was rather difficult so I am thinking hedge instead since that doesn't need permission (the garden is along a shared driveway). I am in a cul-de-sac, and the garden is popular with local kids and a neighbour's dog uses it for a toilet (killing all of our plants).

I need to completely seal if off with hedge (there will be access through a wall), but I'm a bit worried about affecting foundations, since the hedge will be built up to the house. I have been recommended a Western Red Cedar hedge as one that will grow fairly quickly and is resistant to dog urine.

Is it safe to plant close to my house? (I'm new to all this)

Or would anyone recommend anything different?

Thanks in advance!

17/07/2014 at 08:13

I think the person who recommended Western Red Cedar (Thuja plicata) must have been joking. The grow to over 60 matres (200feet) tall. 

Do you have the space? 

17/07/2014 at 08:36

yew is good, but grows slow and is poisonous (not good with kids about)

Lonicera (box leaved honeysuckle) is good, grows quick and forms a dense hedge and you can get it in green, gold, variegated and lots more I think? so you can mix it up in the hedge and it wont be a monochrome green

17/07/2014 at 08:42

Hi Chris

There is a web site called hedges direct, they have a wide range of hedging that you can choose from

17/07/2014 at 09:09

Hi everyone! thanks for the replies

hedges direct are the ones that actually recommended the Western Red Cedar!
but I thought it might be good to get a second opinion

as i said, my worry is whether my hedges could affect the foundations of the house - I'm not sure how far away I can plant (or what I should plant)...... 

I forgot to mention that the garden has clay soil - not sure if that makes a difference

17/07/2014 at 09:13

Hi Treehugger80, Lonicera looks pretty good actually! it grows to 2mtrs high, so that is what I need, and it looks like it would survive the dog too!

Sorry - amateur question - I guess using a small hedge like this means I don't need to worry about foundations?

17/07/2014 at 09:18

Hi Chris, I am a favourite to copper beech, might take a while to grow but keeps its leaves all year round with a change of colour, and not hard to maintain, if you go for a quick growing bush remember it will always need cutting slow growers  needs less

best of luck

..I would recommend something different, but I would like to know how many metres/feet you need to cover, and assuming you plant say 3 foot apart, how many plants do you think you might need...thinking of cost here...? and how tall do you want them to grow before trimming... there are lots of hedging options that you don't need to worry about foundations with... I tend to think towards 'thorny', if I want to keep both animals and children...out... but you can make a dense hedge with a single type easy to manage shrub...Ribes sanguineum for instance...

..or Lonicera as already mentioned...

Hi Chris

I have a privet hedge that is only 6 feet from the house and its over 25 years old it is highly unlikely to cause foundation damage

17/07/2014 at 09:47

Hi Salino, thanks for replying, I need around 22mtrs of hedge and to be honest I don't need anything higher than 2mtrs, I just want privacy in the garden. I like the idea of thorny!! I want quite a dense hedge, so I guess I will needs lots of hedge and lots of money... something not too expensive would be nice though! I like the look of Lonicera, but I'd be tempted by something thorny

Hi Buddyboy, thank you, my worry is that I'm running it right up to the house to create a barrier all round, so I don't know how close is too close

17/07/2014 at 09:57

What about English holly?  Not as fast growing as some things, but it only needs trimming once a year, is great for wildlife, provides you with some Christmas decorations and is certainly dense and thorny.  

While it's growing you can protect it with  temporary windbreak netting like this http://premierbarriers.co.uk/catalog/knitted-windbreak-netting-metre-p-439.html which would not need any planning consent etc. 

17/07/2014 at 10:35

I like berberris for keeping things out (spikes) and for colour and interest. 

Escalonia for attracting bees and butterflies and flowers.

Beech is nice and I've got a lot of that but it's slow growing.

What you could do though is plant something fast growing first and plant something more attractive behind it.  Use the fast growing.... dare I say Leylandii ....   and then take that out later.

You don't normally need planning permission for a fence.

17/07/2014 at 10:37

Hi Chris

As long as your pruning and keeping it in check you should be ok but if you are still concerned my last house had Berberis a maroon colour with thorns and that was right up next to the house

They grow on any soil, and also has a flower

17/07/2014 at 10:39

Thanks everyone!

all of your advice is really appreciated

I will look into all of your suggestions

17/07/2014 at 11:47

..only you can decide how much you want to spend on this Chris and you've had some good options given here, but as an example for you, and it's just an example - I'm quite fond of Pyracantha 'Orange Glow' as a hedge... it's dense and thorny - a very dense barrier... one of my neighbours has this... and can be kept trimmed to the height you require... people grow these up house walls so you shouldn't need to worry about that aspect..

..for something like these, I would plant 2 foot apart, and for your measurements you would need approximately 36 plants, which would come about 1-1/2 foot high in containers...and would set you back about £100...

..this site here details what I mean... however, the other options like Lonicera, Holly, Beech...et al....all good...  Berberis is another thorny specimen... Lonicera nitida plants would appear to be the cheapest, but they are small when you get them... but I like the feel and density of that hedge too...

http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/product_10278.html

17/07/2014 at 11:49

I have a Pyracatha hedge made up of red, yellow and orange berried plants, in the autumn it looks fantastic!

17/07/2014 at 11:49

..actually I wouldn't go for Beech...not next to a house...not for me that one.. and I might think twice about Holly, I'm not sure about their root systems.. others might know more...

17/07/2014 at 14:30

I'm a big fan of these Pyracanthas! I looked at 'orange glow' as suggested - my only question is I'm seeing different growth rates on every website - some say quick, others say slow. In your experience how quickly do these grow? One site said 50cm per year which would be fantastic

17/07/2014 at 15:26

..50cm sounds about right to me.... I wouldn't call them slow growers, but neither do they grow as if they've got a rocket up..well you know where...  you don't want anything overwhelming... think about it... take your time from the choices available, costs etc... whatever you choose...if they arrive as container grown plants,...you must keep the hedge well watered until established..that is, for the rest of summer...  I take it you've got a hose...?

17/07/2014 at 17:23
Laurel, privet both quick to establish.
email image
20 messages