London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
5 messages
25/05/2014 at 19:08
Hi I am novice gardener with a small was looking to get one of those plastic covered green houses. The only thing I am confused about is the clear plastic covered ones better than green plastic cover ones. Which one is the best to buy? Thanks
25/05/2014 at 19:13

The clear plastic is a good bet when you are raising seedlings..........rather than the green plastic, I would invest in a net cover as well............this enables you to grow on things a bit later in the season.  The green plastic will only really do you a favour if you are raising plants early and in full sun

25/05/2014 at 20:01

neither. glass is best and lasts longer.

25/05/2014 at 20:18

Flowering rose.......I wouldn't disagree with you there...........however not everyone has the space for a glass house...........these little plastic jobs can be useful if you are short of space

25/05/2014 at 20:42

I've had both covers - clear lets more light in as you can imagine but I have grown from seed many many plants in both clear and green without any hassle. The only difference is that the clear covers I've had seemed to rip quicker. I wouldn't bother spending loads of money on them as they only seem to last a year or two - or perhaps I am just unlucky!!

And although glass would be lovely, I too have a tiny tiny garden.  It's also North facing with one tiny sunny spot.. I have to take the greenhouse down each year and put the garden bench there instead. Simply not enough room for both a bench and a greenhouse at the same time, so for me personally I am a big fan of those little plastic greenhouses!

email image
5 messages