Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 21 replies

I have a Clematis in a large pot, which I have had for a few years and which flowers beautifully.

In high winds which we had recently I found that the pot had been blown over, but the plant seemed to be OK, so I have carried on feeding and watering.

The plant now has plenty of foliage but not one single flower, what should I do?

I have posted a photo of what the plant has flowered like in previous years, and what it looks like now....HELP

hogweed

It is looking healthy enough. Have you fed it at all? It may be lacking in nutrients if it has been in that pot for a few years. 

Iamweedy

That is a very small pot for a clematis that is producing that many flowers.  Could the soil it is in be "tired" and full of plant food residues which are almost poisoning the soil ? Try cutting it  right back and repotting it in completely new compost and a slighly bigger pot!

It has only gone to masses of foliage since it was blown over, which I guess may be a coincidence??

I have continued to feed and water and the greenery has developed but no flower?

I will try re-potting in new compost and hope that it will improve next season.

Thanks for your feedback guys

Fairygirl

It may just be a coincidence Gordon. The plant looks healthy enough, but as already said, it might just have run out of nutrients now if it's been in the pot a long time. If it's in a pot long term, you really need a soil based compost as opposed to just multi purpose. 

Has it flowered this year? Or has it not flowered since last year?

Advertisement

Hi Fairygirl,

It did flower, also this season I have put in a obelisk (rather than allowing it to climb up a trellis on the wall), it then blew over when we had extraordinary strong winds a month or two ago. It faces East and I have always put a layer of large gravel on the surface.

NB: I have just found the label for it and it is a Bees Jubilee variety. By the way the beautiful picture was in May last year.

Any recommendations for compost, I am not sure what a "soil based compost" would be ?

The flowering period for Bees Jubilee is over for this year, it flowers May / June on old wood, you may get a few flowers August / September on the new shoots that are now appearing.

thanks Richard,

Yes we have had 2 flower shows before. 

As you seem to know the variety, what soil would you say to re-pot into and how hard do you prune it down to, should I do it now or leave until later in the year? 

Fairygirl

If you look for compost which says it has John Innes - that will be the right type. It's really just a formula, and means that the compost is loam based, and has more substance to it. Better for long term planting of shrubs or climbers when they're in a confined space like a container.

If it's already flowered, then it's done it's thing for this year, although if B'sJ is a group 2 clem, it may have a second flush of flowers later in the year. It's not one I've grown so I'm not sure, although it should say on the label. If that's the case, keep up with your watering and a bit of feeding, and just wait and see. You can try repotting it into fresh compost in  late winter/early spring to give it a good start for next year,'s display,  then each year after that, remove a few inches from the top and replace with fresh stuff, along with some slow release food and plenty of water.  

It certainly looks absolutely fine and healthy from the pic,  so I don't think you're doing too much wrong!  

Thanks

Label says from year 3 (it may be its 4th year?) to "cut back all stems to a pair of strong buds in the spring"

I think I will leave it alone until next spring, prune and then re-pot

In strong winds an obelisk (if fitted into the pot) will catch the wind and cause the whole set-up to blow over.  A trellis attached to the wall will stay put in strong winds and is less likely to cause the plant to topple over.  As most have already stated the plant needs a larger pot in which to flourish.  However I agree that it may be too late to prune the plant now, so save both pruning and repotting until  next spring when all chance of frost has past.

Thanks for all helpful comments

I will leave actions until spring and will probably go back to the wall trellis, as it looks like it is a safer way to support the plant, although the pot I am going to put it into is a lumpy one that I have a job moving, let alone the wind blowing it over   

Fairygirl

It's surprising how wind can topple even a heavy pot though Gordon. The foliage can be hefty and it just becomes top heavy. I think GD is right - the trellis is probably a better option, but you may still need to keep an eye on it if high winds are forecast, as the pot could still go and any foliage attached to the wall/trellis would be ripped away.  

Perhaps you could look at putting a band of something strong (rope or webbing?) round the rim of the pot and attaching that to the wall behind the pot so that it's not too visible. 

Good suggestion...

Iamweedy

What fertilzers were you using?  You need something that is balanced in its ingredients. Not too high in nitrogen as are many of the Miracle grow products are.

(This is an example about blood fish  and bone.) "Ready to use"  Helps build soil fertility.  Encourages strong, healthy rooting Increases crop yield

NPK 3-9-3 Size 1.5kg, 3.5kg, 7kg, 10kg

I am really annoyed by the on line advertisements for these fertilizer products that never now show the actual ingredient balance of what you are trying to buy..  . It is the first thing I look at.

How many people don't know or can't be bothered to find out? Grumpy old woman rant.

Advertisement

Hi,

I have used miracle grow, but I have changed to using Tomorite...an old guy I knew who used to grow anything under the sun veg, flowers etc etc and he stated that he only ever used Tomorite.

I have used Fish & bone in other areas of the garden, but not in any pots, how often do you apply it?, presumably just fork it into the surface and water in?

You mention NPK 3-9-3.....can you recommend any particular brand?

Iamweedy

That was "Westlands " blood fish and  bone .

Westlands is a reasonably good manufacturer of such things. Their multipupose compost is a recent best seller.

Iamweedy says:

Grumpy old woman rant.

Oh I'm sure they don't weedy.

Last edited: 16 July 2017 23:02:31

Interested in use of  Coir......could I replant my Clematis into a mix of 35% Coir + 35% soil based compost and 30% sand??

Also I have japanes acacia in a pot (looks healthy) where the soil is very seriously compacted, what should I pot that into (I know that any compost should be ericaceous) 

hogweed

Wondering if the clematis has been overfed - ie put on lots of leaves at the expense of flowers? Is that a possibility?