Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Clematis and yellowing leaves

I have planted a clematis in a pot, using good compost. It is now about a year old and 3 feet high and has not flowered.   The clematis was originally planted in my garden but was getting eaten by slugs.

I water it regularly and once a week with Tomorite.

I have just noticed that there is a gradual variation in leaf colour with the bottom leaves green and the top leaves a greeny yellow ... worryingly so !

I'd be grateful for the forums help.

Thanks

Chris

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

What kind of clematis is it Chris?  If it's a montana type it won't do very well in a pot as they need a good root run to do their thing. It will need a little time to get established and build up a good root system especially after being decimated by slugs and snails so it might just be doing that. I'm wondering if you're actually over watering too, and normally you wouldn't need to  feed so often when there are no flowers or buds showing. Do you have a pic you could put on - that will help with other suggestions too image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Chris 7Chris 7 Posts: 102

Thanks for suggestions.

Its in a large pot (12" diameter),  but I give it water every day ... this could be the problem.  Tomorite is strictly according to the bottle.

Have no pictures of it,  but it flowers about now with blue flowers which are about 3" in diameter.

Will water it less and see.

Thanks all for your help.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

It may be a drainage problem then Chris. Keep it off the ground with some little supports - anything will do, so that excess water drains away. It's quite a small pot but as long as it's fed and watered appropriately you'll get flowers. I had a clematis in a pot that size with sweet peas last year. Make sure the pot gets some shade  - I had mine in partial shade and also had other pots round it to prevent the roots cooking, which clematis don't like. Sun for their heads but shade for their feet.

It may just be a bit slow this year after being munched. Water it regularly but don't feed so often until there are buds and flowers coming. If you put your finger in the compost to check - it should just be damp not soaking wet. A mulch of gravel  will help prevent it drying out too much in hot weather.  It sounds as if it's growing fine - it just needs a bit of time and tlc image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Chris 7Chris 7 Posts: 102

Thanks Fairygirl.

Will do as you say !

Chris