London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
8 messages
14/10/2013 at 15:57

I made the mistake of buying this to grow along the big fence near my kitchen. However, in this new house of mine there is a patio with several slabs removed. These gaps have pebbles, which I thought would be on soil, but they are on the old patio underneath! Should have checked first.

Can I grew the c.armandii in a large pot? I am in Devon.

Thanks.

14/10/2013 at 16:15

That's an enormous plant pinny but in theory you can grow anything in a pot if you provide enough water and nutrients

14/10/2013 at 16:56

...and given the right conditions, will grow at a rate of knots.

14/10/2013 at 22:06

Thanks v much

14/10/2013 at 22:14

High risk of failure in a pot , to be realistic. You could give it to a friend, plant it in a local hedgerow, or raffle it for charity!!   Seriously I have found them a little temperamental even in the ground. They don't like windy spots. 

14/10/2013 at 22:31

I'm thinking of getting rid of mine. It gets huge, covers a thuja, a yew and droops over the lawn, absolutely splendid.

Then the wind or a cold spell or some other excuse and there are dead, brown swathes at the top of the thuja and the yew and I can't reach them

15/10/2013 at 13:24

I am an economist, and look at most things as a cost-benefit ratio. Sad really but that's how my mind works. In this case the answer comes out at a probable minus figure. Small chance of success ( which would look great if it happened), high probability of failure, and every chance it will struggle on not doing very much soaking up a lot of your physical and emotional strength. Put your efforts elsewhere with a higher chance of success.

I always do what Nut says, anyway. You can't go wrong if you do.

15/10/2013 at 13:43

WW said 'I always do what Nut says, anyway. You can't go wrong if you do'.

Oh yes you can WW, very easily

email image
8 messages