6 messages
03/05/2012 at 20:53

Help, something has been nibbling the tasty new shoots on one of my clematis.  I can see no evidence of who the culprit may be but have tried slug pellets just in case, without success.

Any ideas?  I have two clematis fairly close together however it is only one that is affected.  The same thing happened last year so I've yet to see it flower.

03/05/2012 at 21:01

Georgial - any chance of a photo?  

03/05/2012 at 21:05

It could be earwigs - they are partial to clematis flowers.

You can't eradicate them, but you can catch them in newspaper-stuffed pots inverted on a cane close to the plants. Earwigs will take shelter in these pots during the day and can be disposed of.

10/05/2012 at 21:11

vine weevil?  i had the problem too, last year.  i did have a lot of earwigs, come to think of it.  but i also had a lot of vine weevil.  there does not (yet) seem to be a problem with it this spring, since i treated everywhere with the nematode in the autumn.  good tip about the earwigs.

10/05/2012 at 21:20

I've had the same problem with a clematis for two years running, here is the thread I started and the conclusion to my problem

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/why-miss-bateman/2624.html

11/05/2012 at 18:35

Thanks for all the advise.  I'll try tips re the ear wigs this weekend and will do a bit of research on vine weevil.  Strangely enough, since I started this thread doesn't appear to have been any more damage - perhaps the wee beasties know I'm on to them....

email image
6 messages