Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

Help, something has been nibbling the tasty new shoots on one of my clematis.  I can see no evidence of who the culprit may be but have tried slug pellets just in case, without success.

Any ideas?  I have two clematis fairly close together however it is only one that is affected.  The same thing happened last year so I've yet to see it flower.

kjdintown

Georgial - any chance of a photo?  

Alina W

It could be earwigs - they are partial to clematis flowers.

You can't eradicate them, but you can catch them in newspaper-stuffed pots inverted on a cane close to the plants. Earwigs will take shelter in these pots during the day and can be disposed of.

vine weevil?  i had the problem too, last year.  i did have a lot of earwigs, come to think of it.  but i also had a lot of vine weevil.  there does not (yet) seem to be a problem with it this spring, since i treated everywhere with the nematode in the autumn.  good tip about the earwigs.

Advertisement

Thanks for all the advise.  I'll try tips re the ear wigs this weekend and will do a bit of research on vine weevil.  Strangely enough, since I started this thread doesn't appear to have been any more damage - perhaps the wee beasties know I'm on to them....