Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

clematis leaf problem

My newly purchased  2 year old clematis leaves are disappearing fast......Gobbled!

I have scrutinised the plant and found nothing to account for the devastation, except a few of the leaves are deformed and the leaf surface is all BOBBLY!!!!!

advice please!

• CercisCercis Posts: 42

Are they just flopping over or actually being eaten? As cairnsie says if just flopping over suddenly, leaves and flowers "disappearing" could be slugs and snails. (They destroy my clematis given half a chance) and bobbly leaves could be aphid attack. They love to attack fresh stems.

• No wilt, the top of the plant is healthy and lovely shiny leaves.

Iwas out last night with my torch and there wasn't a thing on the clematis...BUT! there were slimy slugs on my alstromerias which are close by. (were on..r.i.p.)

so chances are it has been these blighters!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

slugs and snails often chew the stems as well. Have you got stem damage pp?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I was just going to say, in my last garden snails stripped the bark from a montana - if I went out on a damp evening I could (and did) collect buckets full of the little darlings from the montana foliage image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Snails killed a lovely clematis Miss Bateman, they just ate all the bark all the way round, virtually overnight. It seems that some are more attractive than others to mollusc attack - I've had to give up on Miss Bateman, even in a pot she didn't make it - pity, one of the best white clems I think. 

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

After i commented on this thread one of my clematis started to look damaged. Its cleamtis the president. It had a few buds its this year one opened but not long after went completely limp. the plant is only 1 year old. All the other buds have gone limp now and the plant had black markings on its leaves and just looks a bit sorry for itself, we had very strong wind and monsoon like rain, is it that or is it wilt.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j309/Cairnsie13/IMG_20130624_214558_zpsf2352d1c.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j309/Cairnsie13/IMG_20130624_214553_zps698847a0.jpg 

• CercisCercis Posts: 42

Unfortunately I think it is wilt, but it really does depend where and what it's planted in. The RHS and Taylor's are good for information. 

Was the plant in a pot or buried deep?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Check the bark and see if the snails have got at it.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• tuppence5tuppence5 Posts: 8

try spraying with a garlic mix - I tried this on several plants to keep the blighters away - and it worked - they cannot stand the smell of garlic.