Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

clematis montana

Hi could anyone  tell me why my spring flowering clematis montana is flowering again in September.It was a little late flowering due to the bad weather (late spring).But i eventually had a good show of lovely white flowers. It only put on a bit of  growth after flowering,,and the leaves turned a russet colour.Now i have PINK flowers coming.I am only a novice gardener but i was told that the Montana is a spring flowering Clematis.I,m not complaining about this because it does look nice. just curious.So  any info would be gratefully received,thanks.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Probably just confused by a long, cool, wet summer with low light levels.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

They often do, especially if we have had - as this year - a grey spring and summer, then some light and sunshine now - all the plant is interested in is getting flowers and seeds out there to continue its species - and it feels there might just be time enough. Sit back and enjoy. 

• i have one climbing up through conifers. what a show in spring!!!! it is probably the weather which has confused it. my pieris have had several 'springs' . hope we have better weather next year

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

A similar thread here about rhododendrons-

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/plants/may-has-come-early/5696.html

I can recall other topics last year about daffodils in December-it seems to happen that every year that are some odd quirks- usually weather related

• Thank you all, i thought it may be weather related, its nice  to have a bit more colour in september though..Yes Kathryn i hope we do too, could,nt do with another wet year. I had a swimming pool at the bottom of my garden in july.