London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
21 to 38 of 38 messages
02/03/2014 at 15:17

I have several clematis growing in pots, Mine seem to do well.

This is Crystal Fountain last year,

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38677.jpg?width=300&height=350&mode=max

I've underplanted it with violets and top dress it every Spring. Other than feeding, no special treatment,

02/03/2014 at 16:57

Oooh, the Clematis are so lovely. Thanks for posting all the photos.  I've made up my mind.  I'm going to try two clematis in the big pot and a climbing rose in the soil because I don't think the soil is deep enough to cope with the clematis.  Kind of a complete reverse in my thinking but thanks to you all here, I think that will be the best idea. I will have some partial shade herbs in pots that may do well at the bottom of the clematis pot and protect the roots at the same time.

It does prove all over again, that nothing beats experience in gardening.  Thank you all for your patience and help. 

02/03/2014 at 17:22

Charley - nothing ventured 

Take a look at Taylor's Clematis site. You'll get loads of ideas for your particular aspect and the time of year you want flowers. A word of warning though - Clematis can be very addicitive! 

Lovely pic JGenie. Nice choice for underneath  

02/03/2014 at 18:17

I have planted New Dawn on a north facing wall before and they did very well. They are a nicely scented pale pink flower. Not single but not full like David Austins - which I love. A good rose for difficult places.

02/03/2014 at 18:20

Taylor's Clematis, as Fairygirl said, is a great site. I use it a lot, I have about 25 clematis and need 2 more!

http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/ 

02/03/2014 at 19:43

Yep, I have taylors on my favourites bar and in fact it was while looking on their website that I fell in love with Clematis plants ... and wanted lots

I found a good rose website too ... Keith Jones who has also been very helpful. 

This is my choice.  The colour scheme fits into everything around that area, which has a yellow standard rose in the middle of it and then I'm going to plant some rose of Sharon (yellow flowers) on the side, to take the yellow away into the next area.  Such good fun planning

Marie Boisselot white clematis Comtesse de Bouchard pink clematis Etoile de Hollande red rose
02/03/2014 at 20:25

Comtesse de Bouchard is the one whose name i couldn't remember - performs great for me in a container.  Would recommend lining your pot with bubble wrap before the compost goes in too - helps keep the roots cool.

02/03/2014 at 20:29

See Charley - simples! 

Such good fun as you say! 

02/03/2014 at 21:46

It certainly is, especially with everyone on this forum.  Have a great gardening week.

02/03/2014 at 22:29

definitely right about addictive I have 14 and bought another 3 I think I have a problem lol.

02/03/2014 at 23:12

Oh wow Cairnsie, you must be doing something right if you're managing 14 with more on the way!  Are any in containers?

03/03/2014 at 20:27

I did have a Raymond evison boulevard clematis in a pot as they are meant to be and it did ok. They only get a meter tall. I have took it out of the pot at the end of the season now and have it climbing around a standard rose I have put pea netting around. it did ok but had to watered a lot.

03/03/2014 at 20:53

Ah ok, that's interesting.  I've been looking at the Abilene from the Raymond Evison collection today.  Apparently it's a new one.  I think the rose that I've chosen will take more room than I originally thought so I may have to go for only one clematis for the time being and let it weave into the rose.

03/03/2014 at 21:47

The boulevard collection is what I would recommend in pots most only grow a meter high. Just make sure you are feeding it regularly.

03/03/2014 at 22:08

Is there a particular feed you would recommend?

03/03/2014 at 22:12

Tomato feed is what I generally use but stop when the buds of the flowers form as it can shorten the flowering period. Then start again after the flowers have finished

04/03/2014 at 00:43

Ok, that's great.  Thanks for your help.

04/03/2014 at 07:09

I have a friend who grows Clematis very successfully in containers.As well as all the tips already mentioned,every 2nd or 3rd year she tips the whole plant out of its container and reduces the root system by about half,adds fresh compost and replants.Sounds brutal but seem to work for her.

email image
21 to 38 of 38 messages