Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

clematis-starting-to-go-brown-top-down

I seem to be having a few problems with my clematis this year. My clematis montanas are great and thriving but my president got wilt. However i cut it down to the base and its back shooting away and as big as it was before I cut it down and starting to flower again. My rebbecca flowered brilliantly and now has went brown mostly apart from a few leaves at the base like it does in winter. Another large flowered variety has started looking shabby and hasnt flowered although its been looking sickly all year. However apart from these my other clematis(nelly moser, warsaw nike, blue angel) among others are doing well and i cant understand it especially as this has only started to happen since the weather has become a little cooler and more rain as opposed to the hot dry spell we had earlier.

These clematis are all only 1 year old

My question is this browning of leaves caused by the fact they have done all there flowering and are simply finished for the season or are they dying and what should i do. It doesnt look like willt like my president did either.

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058
    cairnsie wrote (see)

I seem to be having a few problems with my clematis this year. My clematis montanas are great and thriving but my president got wilt. However i cut it down to the base and its back shooting away and as big as it was before I cut it down and starting to flower again. My rebbecca flowered brilliantly and now has went brown mostly apart from a few leaves at the base like it does in winter. Another large flowered variety has started looking shabby and hasnt flowered although its been looking sickly all year. However apart from these my other clematis(nelly moser, warsaw nike, blue angel) among others are doing well and i cant understand it especially as this has only started to happen since the weather has become a little cooler and more rain as opposed to the hot dry spell we had earlier.

These clematis are all only 1 year old

My question is this browning of leaves caused by the fact they have done all there flowering and are simply finished for the season or are they dying and what should i do. It doesnt look like willt like my president did either.

It could well be the end of their season, especially if they are dry at their roots.

You said that 1 of them has just been 'miserable'. Could you try it elsewhere? moving it this autumn & replanting it really deep, which they like. J.