London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
6 messages
05/06/2012 at 12:30

Ive had this plant for two years and although it looks healthy it is just growing from one stem and it looks as if growth is starting from the axles but after a while they just dry up. It is on a wall with two other clematis which are growing beautifully. I feed it weekly just the same as all my others. Can anyone help before I give up on it and try something else.

05/06/2012 at 12:33

Can you remember the variety?

05/06/2012 at 12:34
Did you chop it right down the first spring after planting? I'm growing some at the mo and I've read that it needs doing to get them to bush out. About 30cm from the ground apparently.
05/06/2012 at 14:14

Oops, I've just noticed that you put the name (Will Goodwin) in the header.  That is a group 2, so will produce more growth this year after the first set of flowers.  You could cut it back to the lowest set of leaf axils (which haven't produced shoots which have since died) and it should put on new growth from there, but you will lose the 2nd set of this year's flowers.  Alternatively, be brave and cut it back to ground level in late winter and it may produce new shoots from the roots.  I have done this to re-invigorate several group 2 clematis over the years, but that works best if they were originally planted deep (mine go in at least 4 inches below original pot level.)  If it fails to produce new shoots in spring, at least that is a good time to plant a replacement.  Comtesse de Bouchaud is a similar pink group 2 and is a 'good doer' in my experience.  Hagley Hybrid is another vigourous large pink, but is usually grown as a group 3 (late flowering) and cut back to a foot high in spring, but can be grown as a group 2.

05/06/2012 at 15:39

Thanks Bob,

Funnily enough it is next to a Comtesse de Bouchaud which is doing very well. I forgot to mention that last year it produced just a couple of flowers late in the season and this year there are a lot of leaves and growth but as yet not a single bud.

05/06/2012 at 15:51

I've had the same problem with The President, not The actual president...anyhow, lots of growth but no flowers.

Mine is not down to hunger, but it is a bit of a rescue plant, having been forgotten about and newly discovered last year. Since Clematis group two flower May/June on last year's growth and flower late summer on this year's growth, I am assuming that last year's growth was more a question of re-establishing itself, as opposed to thinking about forming buds. I don't know why a plant would decide that, but is it possible that your 2yr old was too busy making roots and things before getting into the glamour business?

Just a thought. Patience and BobTheGardener's advice should see you through

email image
6 messages