London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 13°C
5 messages
21/04/2013 at 19:00
Hi. We have a clematis Montana growing over a shed. It has been neglected for the last couple of years and is now just a tangled mass of woody stems. It is covered in buds though and so I am wondering when I can safely cut it right back and thin it out? Thank you so much for your help again.
21/04/2013 at 19:12

Cut it back after it has flowered that way it still may flower next year as it only flowers on last years wood

21/04/2013 at 19:32

Yes indeed, immediately after flowering and that should happen in teh next few weeks.

You can then either give it an overall hair cut to tidy it up and cut a few main stems at the base then leave them to wilt before pulling them out or cut the whole thing back to low pairs of leaves and then train the new growth where you want it to grow.   Whatever you do, make sure you give it a good feed of proper cleatis food and a liquid tonic of rose or tomato food to give it a boost.

21/04/2013 at 19:47

I'd leave it be for a while, mine is only just really putting on any growth, most of it is still stick. I'd wait until it's actively growing and the flowers have gone.

21/04/2013 at 21:24
This is all brilliant information. Thank you all so much. Zim
email image
5 messages