Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Climber not growing

A clematis I've had for approx 5 years with no problems hasn't moved since I cut it back in early spring as usual.   No movement at all ex small green shoots which initially grew, then nothing.    No sign of any rot or insects.   Could something have attacked it when it was pruned?   Should I lift it and replant another?   Advice much appreciated.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

What type of Clematis is it? 

The weather this year has been difficult for all sorts of plants, but I'm guessing if you had some new shoots in spring, slugs and snails may have been munching them. They love those nice soft juicy new shoots image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • You may be right Fairygirl but that would mean that the slimy little monsters have been steadily munching since March!   Funnily enough I've just bought a pack of the new iron phosphate slug bait.   Didn't like using it until I heard about this one as I have so many birds in my garden.   I'm not home at present so can only say the clematis is a group 3 for pruning but can't to remember the variety.

• OneofsevenOneofseven Posts: 338

If I were you I would put down a few slug pellets, and check your clematis every day.   I had the same trouble with one of mine, nothing happening until I used the slug pellets, and then to my delight there were shoots galore - and dead slugs!   The clematis flowered beautifully after that.   Worth a try!

• Thanks Oneofseven, will try the slug bait and see how that works.   Was really worried that a virus had got in when I pruned it.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Molluscs are the most likely reason. They're little b**£&%s !  I hand pick them and chuck them, but use whatever method you feel happy with. If you have planting nearby which they can hide in, take a look there during daylight hours. You might find them lurking - ready to pounce!

It's just at that time of year when they come into growth that you need to be really vigilant. Feed your plant well too.If you can keep on top of it, the Clematis will get a chance to get going and it'll be sturdy enough to shrug them off.  They can still chew through finer woody stems though - I had that issue with one of mine earlier in the summer. It's been very wet and cold here and we have very large slugs! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Even if it doesn't come back now, the roots should still be OK.  I've had clems come back from the dead after 2 years of inactivity, especially group 3s.   They can also take a year or two to get their roots well established before putting on lots of lovely flowering top growth.

Feed it next spring in late Feb with slow release clematis food and start with the wildlife friendly slug pellets straight away and sprinkle them very lightly, but regularly every week.    If you get a dry spell, give the clematis a good drink of 5 litres or more at a time every few days.   Water it anyway with tomato food until flowering starts.    

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Why is that a problem?

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Do people actually use large quantities in one spot, I couldn't see a child picking odd pellets out from the soil and collecting them until they have a large quantity.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.