London (change)
Today 17°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
16 messages
15/02/2013 at 23:25

Can anyone suggest an easy care flowering climber for a partially shady spot - to be grown in a container.  I have a rather bare concrete shed that I would like to cover - I would really like something fast growing and am a bit nervous about pruning - so something that needs little care would be ideal.  Any help would be appreciated.

15/02/2013 at 23:49
Wish I knew, I shall be interested to hear advice
16/02/2013 at 02:58

what I want is a 30 inch waist but I dont want to have to diet or excersize, I would like the earth tilted on its axis slightly so Englands weather is more like south of France and warm up those poor Scots. 

16/02/2013 at 07:51

Carol Mc - have a look at this site: http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/garden/climbers.htm

16/02/2013 at 08:04

Some good ideas on that website, but please don't plant Russian Vine!  You'll regret it and so will your neighbours! 

Does it have to be in a container?  Plants in containers need much more care than those planted in the ground - copious watering for a start, not to mention being careful not to overwater - and then there's feeding, whilst being careful not to over-feed.  Isn't there a chance that you could prepare a reasonable sized planting hole? 

16/02/2013 at 09:21

You could try a clematis montana, but it will have to be a big pot without much sun shining on the pot itself. Put crocks in the bottom then good earth then compost. It will need a lot of watering as it is quite vigorous.

16/02/2013 at 09:36

montana is the one, there's a few diff varieties, probably putting this in a pot is quite wise as you should be able to control the size it will grow by doing this. It is called 'mile a minute' for a reason, but is ideal for quickly covering fences and sheds/walls. Try Clematis Tangutica as well, if you google these then select images you'll get an idea of what's about. Good Luck.

16/02/2013 at 11:54

I'm thinking montana or montana alba, both would be better in the ground rather than a pot as its roots need cool & damp and containers tend to be dry & warm.

Virginnia creeper has attractive foliage with lovely autum colors, but may be a bit too vigorous & need regular cutting back,

16/02/2013 at 11:57

I've never grown these large climbers in pots but it seems to me that although a pot might restrict the size of the plant, the roots will soon fill the pot and need that endless watering that happens when a pot is full of roots. 

16/02/2013 at 12:58
nutcutlet wrote (see)

I've never grown these large climbers in pots but it seems to me that although a pot might restrict the size of the plant, the roots will soon fill the pot and need that endless watering that happens when a pot is full of roots. 

Yes, the pot will restrict the size of the plant, but unless it is regularly fed  and repotted and properly watered it will look stunted and pathetic, not the lush beauty that it could be.  Growing plants in pots, particularly large plants/shrubs, takes more gardening skill than growing them in the open ground.

16/02/2013 at 13:02

I have pots but the contents only stay there for a season then they go it the garden or are discarded if annual. It maintains a freshness that would be difficult with long term plantings. 

16/02/2013 at 15:04
Dovefromabove wrote (see)
  Growing plants in pots, particularly large plants/shrubs, takes more gardening skill than growing them in the open ground.

I should have said "Growing plants longterm in pots ...... takes more gardening skill than growing them in the open ground." 

16/02/2013 at 16:35

clematis or honeysuckle,montana's grow quickly and don't need much attention except for control of spread or even  a rambling rose .you could if not wishing to use a pot knock out a pocket to put the plant in.(I have done this by front door where I have a rambling rose and a clematis.)

16/02/2013 at 16:55

Thank you for all your suggestions.  Really helpful website Swiss Sue - especially the fact they include annual climbers, which I had not considered.  Has to be a container as the shed I want to cover is a concrete one on the patio to the side of the house, so no soil available - also only receives morning sun.  The container is large - a half barrel - so I am also going to look at clematis montana and clematis tangutica - will also check the annuals.

All your help much appreciated.    Carol Mc

16/02/2013 at 18:45
Would passion flower do well here? I find it to be a vigorous plant. Although preferring full sun I think partial shade would be fine. Easy to prune, etc.
16/02/2013 at 18:51

How about an evergreen honeysuckle or 'Mermaid(?)' a semi evergreen rose, so you don't have to look at a collection of dead twigs for 5 months of the year? Or one of the evergreen clematis

email image
16 messages