London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
15 messages
16/03/2013 at 15:43

MY NEIGHBOUR HAS AN IVY GROWING UP THE FENCE SEPERATING OUR GARDEN. IN FACT IT HAS TAKE OVER AND NOW BREAKING THE FENCE(WHICH WE PUT UP). WE HAVE NOT SPOKEN TO THE NEIGHBOURS FOR YEARS CAN YOU SUGGEST ANYTHING I COULD DO ABOUT THE IVY? 

16/03/2013 at 15:49

Well you are going to have to pull it off and return the bits to them-do it now before it gets any worse

On a different tack-sometimes someone has to make the first move-what would you do in their shoes-it might be time to make peace and get this sorted

What do you think?

Also on forums-it is better if you turn caps lock off -it looks as though you are shouting

16/03/2013 at 15:52

Sorry to hear this, Kerb. There's not much you can do about cutting back the ivy if it is on the other side of the fence and, really, it is not suitable for a wooden fence anyway, because it is very heavy. The real answer is to get it out by the roots and that's not easy, either. A solicitor's letter? We are not on chatting terms with our neighbour, either, so I sympathise, but a polite request and an offer to pay for someone to take it out might work. I imagine that if his ivy damages your fence, you have a claim on him to repair the fence, but a solicitor could advise you there.

16/03/2013 at 16:10

Severing the plant at the root is a simple solution. That won't kill the plant, but the existing growth will all then die back. The dead brown mass would then be very unsightly from his side of the fence; but that would then be his problem.

Presumalby the fence is wholly owned by you. That presumably means both sides of the fence itself. So presumably he is not entitled to grow anything on it.

16/03/2013 at 16:12

Thanks for replies.I have tried to speak to my neighbour on many occasions but its not happening, i can see the fence coming down. Thanks once again.

16/03/2013 at 17:00

A letter seems the next step, then. Put it in black and white and it is harder to ignore, plus you have evidence if you need to take it further. Could you follow the advice to sever it at the roots - can you reach? If you have nothing growing on your side near the fence, another solution might be neat Roundup poured on your side along the length of the fence. Expensive and no  guarantee of it working, though.

16/03/2013 at 17:20

Not a good idea to put weedkiller on someone else's plant no matter how unwanted-especially neat

Sorry but Kerb needs to sort this out with the neighbour-if that doesn't work consult citizens advice, then council, then solicitor-it is not advisable to start doing something that will only make a bad situation worse

Kerb-before the fence falls down-make the first move-what will you do if it does?

16/03/2013 at 17:40

I believe most Coucils have some sort of mediation system for neighbour disputes. Good luck with it

16/03/2013 at 17:48

Good advice artjack.  Most people living in close proximity to our next door neighbour have had similar problems with him and our friendly police community support officer offered to arrange a mediation session for us. (Unfortunately we all agreed to this but he told the PCSO he couldn't bear to look at any of us!!!). 

16/03/2013 at 17:49

Kerb - you may not have spoken for years but did you actually fall out? If not, ,why not go knock and talk - always helps rather than rushing in with officialdom in tow. Is your neighbour even aware of the ivy and the damage it's doing? Good luck

16/03/2013 at 18:20

I quite agree, Geoff. I do think that, if the neighbour is unresponsive to friendly overtures, the best solution is a letter followed if necessary by a solicitor's letter. Perhaps the best start of all is to take legal advice first. I'm also wondering whether the neighbour actually gardens or if the ivy is big because it is completely neglected.

16/03/2013 at 18:38

Perhaps the neighbour is too elderly/infirm to deal with it and would welcome some help?

16/03/2013 at 19:26

My thoughts too artjak!

23/09/2014 at 17:16

I have just seen this thread.  I have ivy that covered my fence and it was good as I have a really strong fence and I liked the ivy, plus it provided cover for insects/small birds.   My neighbour, who I dont get on with, decided to do five minutes of gardening, when they don't bother about their garden at all, and put weedkiller on the ivy, which killed it all my side as well.   I was furious, and it has just take me two hours to get rid of only half of the dead ivy.  The fence underneath is still strong but scarred and unsightly.  Do you know something quick I could grow up that would cover the fence?  The neighbours have quit gardening again now, which I knew they would, but it spoils the look of my garden, which is otherwise quite pretty with loads of plants.

23/09/2014 at 18:01

Who does the fence belong to? It is illegal to grow anything on a fence owned by someone else, even on the side facing your property, without the owners permission. 

If the fence us yours, or if your neighbours agree, I find  Clematis alpina are very successful grown on wires against a fence 

email image
15 messages