London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
8 messages
18/04/2013 at 21:45

I have a variegated ivy climbing up a well established cherry tree.

It all looks very nice but I am concerned that the ivy may kill the tree.

How long would this take ?

Should I remove the ivy ?

18/04/2013 at 21:49

If it looks nice just cut some back from time to time and keep it under control. Ivy is a problem if it takes over the tree and shuts out the light from the tree's leaves, or when it makes a deciduous tree far heavier and stop more wind in the winter, can blow over in extreme cases. But if you keep it controlled, no probs.

18/04/2013 at 21:53

It shouldn't kill the cherry tree directly, but eventually you will have a nearly invisible framework that was once an attractive cherry that is just providing support for your ivy. I can think of better ways to display a nice ivy, such as a wall or boring fence. 

Eventually the ivy canopy could weigh down branches of the tree. Some may break under the strain, and bacterial canker disease could get in, which could be fatal. 

If it were in my garden, the ivy would have to go!

18/04/2013 at 21:57

Thank you both.

I may cut back the ivy to reveal the tree trunk & train it over the brick wall beside the tree. (How long before it attacks the brick joints?)

However, the ivy would have to be pretty strong to break up a 40" high cherry tree. Next year it may have to have a haircut !

19/04/2013 at 07:32

Ivy won't attack healthy brick joiunts but it will do damage to mortar that is already starting to crumble. However, it can disfifure the surface of bricks with its aerial roots. If you remove the ivy the root ends stay on the brickwork and are pretty well impossible to remove without damaging the surface. 

19/04/2013 at 08:30

Ivy a killer? it nearly got me in 2009! I was cutting it back for several hours and found I couldn't get my breath, decided to call an ambulance which took me into A&E where a kind Dr told me I was having a heart attack.

Thats an interesting tense not had or going to have but having. Luckily he had some stuff he could inject me with but he said there was a 5% chance of a bleed on the brain. hmm thinks I 5% chance it might do that if I have it. 100% chance i'll die without it. I said i'll take it. Next day had a stent fitted and a few months later another but since then been fine.

A heart attack is a blockage of one of the coronary arteries that feed oxygenated blood to the heart muscle, losing that blood supply is ok for 20-30 minutes usually after which the muscle starts to die and dead heart muscle becomes scar tissue if you survive.

Luckily i recognised it could be something serious,(i thought it could be a reaction to the Ivy), and made the choice to call an ambulance. So roughly 30 minutes after it occured the blood flow was restored. A healthy heart is around 60% efficient mine is 55% So pretty close to normal.  

So the key thing is to get treated as fast as possible.

Friend of mine joseph, I was waiting at his house to go fishing and he came in from shopping very pale with a slow heart beat. He didn't want to do anything since he was seeing a dr later in the afternoon.

But between me and his daughters i got him in my car took him to his GP who promptly had him in an ambulance and into hospital, trouble was the delay cost him more of his health. After 3 weeks he had a triple bypass and a pacemaker fitted. He is still alive and kicking too just has to take things steady these days

So Ivy a killer yes i think so, but more importantly if you think something is wrong don't delay your life and how you live afterwards depends on it.

19/04/2013 at 08:50

Sounds like a very close shave, Blackest, and good advice, though from what you describe I think the ivy should take the wrap! 

19/04/2013 at 09:27

The wall is quite old & I suspect that the ivy would win.

After all of that, maybe I should get "man with a chainsaw" to cut the offending climber !

Blimey, all of this from such an innocent looking wee plant !

email image
8 messages