London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
6 messages
24/05/2012 at 22:56

We have a persitant weed that winds it self around several trees and bushes in our garden. It will climb as high as you like.

I have tried to trace it back to its source, have manages to eradicate a lot of it. But it seems to spead every where, under the earth or grass.

The root is a creamy white colour and is very healthy! At the surface and above ground its quite thin and wraps around anything vertical. Below ground if I try and pull it out it snaps easily and seems to be well  established.

HELP!

24/05/2012 at 23:00

Sounds like bind weed to me - get some roundup and spray !! May take several sprayings before you begin to control it. I have it and after 7 years, I've still got it. LOL

24/05/2012 at 23:36

I've found that if you put a cane in next to each plant, encourage it to twine around it and just as it's thinking about flowering zap it with glycosphate (ie roundup) then it will die. Of course if you've got a lot then you may have a forest of canes, but it really does work

24/05/2012 at 23:43

The problem with bindweed is, if your garden isn't the source from which the weed is growing and its coming from your neighbours, like mine. You cannot completely get rid of it. All you can do is control the infestation yearly.

25/05/2012 at 07:57

Good advise, will try your recomendations - Thanks!

25/05/2012 at 08:13
Every little bit of root left in the ground will send up shoots. As you've found out, the roots, though easy to spot, are quite brittle. I've just about got rid of mine after digging out miles of it, but I do have very light free draining soil - heavier soils would make this very difficult. Now I get the odd wispy bit coming up, which I immediately pull out, hoping the chlorophyll deprivation approach will work. Applying glyphosate after luring it up canes is very effective, and helped by bruising the leaves before painting/ spraying. And NEVER put it on your compost heap unless it's rotted down so much it's unrecognisable.
email image
6 messages