London (change)
5 messages
11/07/2012 at 14:21

Hi, we are hoping to move to a new home soon and I have to replace the fence panels. 

Closedboad panels are better than Lap Panels?

Thanks in advance


11/07/2012 at 15:04

Look around- if you see a broken fence panel it is usually a lap one -they are the cheaper if not the cheapest end of the market-as with most things you get what you pay for-buy the best in your price bracket

The most important thing are the fence posts- check they they are not rotting if they are the wooden type-you don't want your hard work collapsing in the first high wind

11/07/2012 at 15:23

I reckon there are a couple of other things worth adding to Geoff's comments -  1) you can put a horizontal board at ground level first & this can then be replaced if & when any rot sets in - cheaper & simpler than replacing the whole close-board bit.....  and 2) I'd suggest is that you consider whether you want the horizontal supports to be visible on your side of the plot - it's usually the "best" side which the neighbours see!

11/07/2012 at 16:07

If you live in a very windy area, think about fencing with a space between the boards. We replaced our fence a couple of years ago, taking the advice of a good fence repair person to do this, and it was the best advice we had in many a year.  The place in which the fence is had acted as a wind tunnel between us and our neighbours besides keeping all of the sun out of their garden.  Now the wind is broken up and does not swirl and buffet around the plants so much, and our neighbour can grow more plants because they have more light - everyone pleased - though none of it has helped witht the rain, sadly. 

12/07/2012 at 08:11

Thanks everyone for the information.

email image
5 messages