Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Cobea- rotting

I have grown a lovely  plant 30cm tall but I noticed today that it has rotted where the stem touches the soil. Can I rescue it?

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

I've not tried this, but you could cut the stem off well above the rotted section and either put it in water or well-drained moist compost to try and root it. If you try the latter, you will need to keep it covered, either in a big polythene bag or in a propagator until it roots.

I'm afraid there's no chance of rescuing the plant complete with rotted section; it does suggest that your plant was overwatered and/or cold.

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

Thanks Alina, I will give it a go. I had so much top growth I kept watering it without checking the pot.

What is going wrong, this is the third I have found this week. Is it all down to over watering?

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

It could be damping off, too. To prevent that, reduce watering and improve air circulation - difficult indoors, I know. Are you using sterile compost? If not, try a copper fungicide drench on what you do use. Also, try opening up the compost with perlite, and only water from the bottom. Good luck!

Thanks Alina, I was hoping that once it got to this size I did not have to worry so much about damping off etc When it stops raining I will get some perlite and re pot the others.