Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Compacted soil

The soil in my Borders has become very hard and compact due to being under shrubs, bushes,  trees,  etc.  I have severely pruned and cut back a lot of plants after many years of neglect. I have tried to dig over the soil, but it is extremely hard and I am losing the well to live! Is it worth me hiring a rotervator to break up the soil or will I be wasting more of my time? If anybody else has had this problem I would be very grateful to hear how you overcame it. I'm tempted to get a lorry load of topsoil and start again, but this would be very expensive as it is a very large area.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

When you were pruning, did you tramp all over the soil when it was wet?

The best low-labour method of reviving compacted soil if you can't dig it is to apply copious amounts of home-made compost or very well-rotted manure or leaf-mould or bought-in mulch.  The worms will draw it in gradually.

And try not to walk on the soil.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Hi Sharpie, using a rotavator could damage the roots of your shrubs etc, some of which are very shallow rooted.  The long-term answer is to mulch your borders with a few inches of compost at least once a year.  Doing this will help keep weeds down and will encourage worms to come to the surface and pull the compost down into the soil.  In effect you are getting the worms to do the digging for you.  For now I would break up the surface as best you can by forking over then lay a good 4 inches of compost over the dug areas, working your way along the border.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

I've found that a quick dig during or after rain helps a little. Can be back breaking stuff but think of the savings on gym fees!image

• Thank you to everybody who has replied.  I'll take your advice and tackle a bit at a time.  Little and often seems to be the motto - instead of leaving it so long!