Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Compost accelerator

I've just started turning my compost heap which I started during the summer.  Would now be a good time to try a compost accelerator, (pee not an option...)  If so does anyone have any recommendations ?

I've also read that nettles are good.  Is it right you only put the leaves on, and not the roots ? I've got a few of those I could put on too. 

thanks for any advice.  So much to learn.  LOVE this website image

• Peanut

only but nettle on in the late spring (new growth) before they flower and go to seed

I don't know about accelerator you shouldn't need it if you turn your compost on a monthly bases even every two weeks

Clueless

• I agree about the nettles. I don't bother turning my mega compost heaps, but it does take longer to produce usable compost - I usually harvest in the third year.

I rather suspect that compost accelerators are just another way to get our hard-earned money off us - but I could well be wrong!

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I use compost accelorator; Garrotta is one brand, but B&Q do a cheaper version. I sprinkle a couple of tablespoons on every 15 cm or so. I get a bin of compost every 5 months in the summer and about 6 months in the winter.

• The main ingredient in accelerators is nitrate, which is why nettles are good (because they contain a lot of it.)  The cheapest commercial high nitrate fertilizer is ammonium sulphate.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • PentilliePentillie Posts: 411

Have always used nettles (in summer) - I tested two compost heaps, one with nettles and one without, and the nettled heap broke down much faster.

In autumn, I also use bags of straw and chaff garnered after harvesting - when wetted thoroughly and mixed with compost, the straw blackens rapidly and takes everything else with it. The straw adds no goodness to the compost ( may even take something away! ) but the speed at which it activates the heap is, I think, worthwhile.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Hello Pentillie image  Have you been hibernating? image  Hope you've not suffered too much in that weather you've been having down there!

We always use Recycled Beer & Cider on our compost heaps, as recommended by Bob Flowerdew - OH is always happy to help image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Dove, I worry about the recycled liquids making the bin/heap too damp, esp in winter; have you had probs with this? Have also heard that pee should be diluted.

• Artjak

yes you should dilute the wee/pee 1:4 I think 

I have a watering can just for this job so I can get to the edges

Clueless

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Yes - we dilute it in a bucket - roughly half a pint of 'product' topped up to half a bucket with water then poured over the compost and then fork the compost over to make sure it's spread out fairly well.  We don't add it in the winter. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657
    i found this ,sorry it so long, Fresh human urine is sterile (unless there is a urinary tract infection ??? this urine should not be used) and free from bacteria. Dilute urine 10-15 parts water to 1 part urine for application on plants in the growth stage.

Dilute to 30-50 parts water to 1 part urine for use on potted plants as they are much more sensitive to Fertilizers of any kind. Trees, shrubs and lawn should cope well without dilution, but it???s important not to

Overload individual plants with a consistent nitrogen input. Apply the diluted solution to the soil beneath Fruiting plants and avoids getting it on the fruit and foliage as the high nitrogen levels can ???burn??? leaves.

Stop using urine liquid fertilizer on all food plants at least two weeks before harvesting. Adding undiluted Human urine to your compost heap will help heat it up quickly and will add to the overall nutrient value. I did said sorry