London (change)
Wed 14°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
5 messages
10/08/2012 at 09:33

I have a small garden and patio with not much room in the garden for a standard compost bin. I would like to have 1 just outside my back door so i can add waste direct from the kitchen.

Do you have any ideas ?

What tumbler would you reccomend ?

Thank you

10/08/2012 at 10:18

I would not put it near the house , as compost bins do tend to attract rodents.You should also put some wire mesh underneath it, if it is on soil to help stop them digging under it.It should also {i think} be placed in a sunny location to help speed up the process. .

Best regards

Michael

10/08/2012 at 10:34

I cannot remember having heard any good reports about tumbling compost bins.  I have conventional wooden sided bins which heat up really well and make good compost in quite a short time, but I have more space than you. 

Have you thought about setting up a Worm Bin to process your household waste?  I think in your situation with limited space that is what I'd go for - you can either make one yourself (as here http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/easywormbin.htm) or you can buy one from Wiggley Wigglers http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/shop/category.html?activecategory_id=1&gclid=CL362Nbg3LECFVMdtAodBUgATQ or similar. 

10/08/2012 at 10:55

I have a worm bin and a standard compost bin. The worm bin is really useful for kitchen waste as I have had a problem with vermin. 

I would not put either by your back door as they attract a lot of flies/ants in the summer.

I have also heard poor reports on tumblers.

10/08/2012 at 10:56

Andrew put your compost bin in a warm sheltered place and a bucket outside your back door with a lid for household green waste, never food or meats of any kind.
Tip the bucket onto the compost as needed and probably a good idea to tip the bin if small onto a plastic sheet and stir it up as you throw it all back in the compost bin.
Forget tumblers, for a small bin tipping the compost out stirring it and putting it back gives time for it to work but will probably take six months for decent compost.
In my case with large wooden boxes in a warm sheltered place I use one as I fill the other and have compost in summer (well most summers) in six to eight weeks.

Frank.

email image
5 messages