London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
3 messages
03/05/2012 at 09:12

I am helping someone in their garden who has had an accident, her compost heap is just a pile of weeds and garden junk piled high in the back of the garden. any suggestions on how to get it under control or do i have to build a new heap properly and transfer all the good stuff and ditch the rubbish. any ideas please

03/05/2012 at 09:35

Depends on the weeds. Annual weeds are fine but the compost heap would need to reach a high temperature to kill off perennial weeds and that just isn't practical for the average gardener.

Personally, I would skip the lot to save spreading weeds and seeds across the entire garden, but that's just me. If you want/need to sort through the pile, I would suggest sieving the lot at least.

03/05/2012 at 15:38

In a small garden a compost heap takes up a lot of space-I would be inclined at this stage to dispose of any woody material or anything that is going to take ages to rot down.

Then invest in a compost bin-a lot of councils offer cheap deals in conjunction with commercial outlets and transfer any vegetative stuff into that- avoiding any perennial roots- like dandelions etc

Keeps it all tidy and in one spot

email image
3 messages