Start a new thread

1 to 8 of 8 replies

aym280

Sitting here waiting for delivery of snowdrops. Wonder what compost mix you have used when you grow them in pots. I want to put one plant in a pot. What size should the pot be? How tall? And what compost mix would you use please? I so want to add some bark mulch, but am worried by the fungal growth or alien matters in the bark mulch. Where should I place the pots please? 

Thank you for your help in advance. 

Loam based (J.I.) compost, small pot, they don't need deep planting. They are woodland plants so will not be affected by bark mulch and they must be outside. somewhere cool and fairly shady.

Are these special ones, that are having a pot to themselves? Are you turning into a Galanthophile?

Last edited: 11 January 2017 13:32:41

Hi aym280, I planted my snowdrops in a clay pot with John Innes no 3 as they will be staying in the pot permanently. The pot is about 1 ft across and approx 8inches deep. I put a layer of gravel on the top to retain moistore and it looks better. i can place the pots where I want and they are small enough for me to lift out of the way when they've finished flowering. they look very pretty but I'm hoping they will improve each year. My pots are by the front door in the sun at the moment but have been in the shade till they started sprouting.

aym280

Butter': These are my son's heirlooms! Only joking!. Not cheap. I think you should know by now that I am into all sorts of weird and unusual things. Protea (only one root which I stupidly turned up and then I realised that was how I killed all my 100-day incubation acer seedlings by planting them with the roots UP in the air! - So I committed mass infanticide!) I have only got John Innes No 1. I might go into the workshop to see if I have number 2 or 3 as suggested by a video and Bright star.  I need to put them in pot as I tend to kill existing bulbs or plants by planting something on top of them. I am quite useless at labelling as well. 

Bright star: I have lined the bottom with some horticultural sand (50p a bg - I know I like to brag! ) and I will do so for the top as well. I will add some bark mulch on the top of the bottom layer of sand and some Home base compost mixed with a bit of vermiculite. What do you two think? I will put them somewhere shady. I reckon shady or partial shade in summer. Now I can actually let them enjoy a bit of sun. Is that right? I just don't want to kill them. I will take a ruler and see where I can hunt down these pots. I have hundreds of them. 

Sitting here, I can actually feel the chill. Big freeze is coming. Thank you to you both for the lovely and detailed advice. Keep warm and healthy! 

treehugger80

if you can get hold of leaf mould then mix 50-50 with a good loam based compost, then top dress every year with 100% leaf mould - it replicates where they live in woodland

Advertisement

aym280

treehugger: Wish I had asked the question earlier. I will bear this in mind as I will have to dig some up from last year's purchase. The way I go, I might kill them all by planting something on top of them. I didn't expect such swift delivery. Thank you for you useful advice. 

Mine are all planted round my hellebores, which don't have any big leaves while the snowdrops are out, but do for the rest of the year, so there is no space to be tempted to plant something in! Works well for me, and they both like leafmould. Hardy geraniums are good companions too.

Mine are heirlooms, they all came from my mother-in-law's garden, single ones and double ones. I have never bought any, but in the last 3 or 4 years they have developed several clumps that are much taller and have larger flowers. Presumably a natural genetic variation, as it is highly unlikely that any of the few people who live within bee flight distance of me have any thing other than bog standard snowdrops, if they have any at all. Gardens aren't a big feature round here (except for me of course, but I'm clearly mad!)

aym280

Butter: Would you mind gracing my thread My Flowers with your flowers please? I'd love to see your trollius chinensis, hellebores and snowdrops. As I live in a built up urban area, I don't have a big garden and I don't want to extend my borders any more. I have already opened up about 100 square feet of planting areas with loads of digging, horse manure, compost. That's why I tended to plant something new on top of something dormant and so have killed quite a few. I think I must have killed my burgundy alstroemeria! by planting something on top! I'd call myself mad too, but it gives me so much pleasure!

I have gathered a big bag of leaves to make leaf mould, but it will be a while for them to decompose. It's a good idea to plant them together as they are woodland plants, and both benefit from shrubs or trees providing them shelter and a bit of shade in summer .. Good idea!