Start a new thread

1 to 4 of 4 replies

Loam based (J.I.) compost, small pot, they don't need deep planting. They are woodland plants so will not be affected by bark mulch and they must be outside. somewhere cool and fairly shady.

Are these special ones, that are having a pot to themselves? Are you turning into a Galanthophile?

Last edited: 11 January 2017 13:32:41

Hi aym280, I planted my snowdrops in a clay pot with John Innes no 3 as they will be staying in the pot permanently. The pot is about 1 ft across and approx 8inches deep. I put a layer of gravel on the top to retain moistore and it looks better. i can place the pots where I want and they are small enough for me to lift out of the way when they've finished flowering. they look very pretty but I'm hoping they will improve each year. My pots are by the front door in the sun at the moment but have been in the shade till they started sprouting.

treehugger80

if you can get hold of leaf mould then mix 50-50 with a good loam based compost, then top dress every year with 100% leaf mould - it replicates where they live in woodland

Mine are all planted round my hellebores, which don't have any big leaves while the snowdrops are out, but do for the rest of the year, so there is no space to be tempted to plant something in! Works well for me, and they both like leafmould. Hardy geraniums are good companions too.

Mine are heirlooms, they all came from my mother-in-law's garden, single ones and double ones. I have never bought any, but in the last 3 or 4 years they have developed several clumps that are much taller and have larger flowers. Presumably a natural genetic variation, as it is highly unlikely that any of the few people who live within bee flight distance of me have any thing other than bog standard snowdrops, if they have any at all. Gardens aren't a big feature round here (except for me of course, but I'm clearly mad!)