London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
21 to 32 of 32 messages
04/02/2014 at 19:52
Ah right, not being a big worm fan (I always have to wear gloves when gardening so I don't touch them) I can't say I have studied the worms in detail, so you are probably right Lancs Lass. I'm going to sort it at weekend and hopefully see some improvement in 2-3 weeks
05/02/2014 at 17:25

On the composting course I did, they said the worms simply come 'by magic' and it does seem to be true. Also, I think they are not ordinary garden worms; redder, smaller and thinner. Every time I open the lid of the bin there are a few lingering on the edge of the lid.

05/02/2014 at 19:09
You can do a composting course?? I was thinking of looking at our local horticultural college, which is meant to be a good one, to see if they do any night school courses so I can learn more about gardening generally.
05/02/2014 at 20:33

I think they are called brindle worms. Masses of them in our two plastic bins which are only ever filled with kitchen waste and other than being a little on the wet side, the compost is fine.

05/02/2014 at 21:39
I might actually reconsider the compost now
Edd
06/02/2014 at 01:01

There are many common names for "Eisenia fetida" or red wigglers as i call them. Dark/light red with lighter stripes and a yellow tipped end. you will find them in manure piles. Please use them and look at the link. Its quite easy. It sounds daft but they  feed off the top and hate sun light. They are smaller and totaly different to earth worms or night crawlers as i call them. Speeds up composting, about 4 times quicker but the compost is rich and normally is used in a "tea" feed. its all down to the good bacteria in the casts "worm poo" and the soil. great stuff for dressing lawns and a general fertilizer for soil.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.redwormcomposting.com%2F&ei=sN7yUt_cFZOIhQe6noGYBw&usg=AFQjCNHeipCQaCx6j3ai0OI9yVgS8KhNPA

Edd
06/02/2014 at 01:16

They should look like this. I apologize now.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/37080.jpg?width=640&height=350&mode=max

06/02/2014 at 13:52

Tracey, It was a 2 day course with Norfolk Council and Garden Organic (a charity). We are expected to do 30 hours a year promoting composting in the community (last year I did 75 hours and loved every minute). The Council supply us with a gazebo, a wormery, tables, publicity material and quizzes for people to play. We go to village and church fetes, allotment parties, primary schools etc.

22/02/2014 at 10:22

Well I haven't been able to do anything with my stodgy compost but just been out to try and 'fix' it and am very pleased to report that actually at the bottom I had quite a bit of useable compost and lots of red worms that I never even knew were there!!!

It had gone down quite a bit, as a the bin was almost full, so has obviously composted quite a bit more over the last few weeks.  Just come in to get some shredded paper to add to it.

Thanks everyone for your tips and help.......it seems I'm not actually as rubbish as I first thought!! 

The only problem now is, the dogs are on the border going through the compost, just in case there is any food left!!!!!!

23/02/2014 at 18:40

If the garden has been flooded , then the compost would have been soaked from the bottom of the bin up.

And what are the dogs looking for?  no food should be put in composter only green stuff from the garden and raw veg kitchen waste.  

unless they eat worms.    yuck

23/02/2014 at 18:44

Beagles patty.......they will be on the look out for anything. They didn't actually eat anything but have been known to run of with an orange rind for example!!!! Yuck 

27/02/2014 at 22:20

Bumped for GardenJeannie as only just seen her post on the compost thread 

email image
21 to 32 of 32 messages