London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 32 messages
03/02/2014 at 19:26
My compost is all stodgy and horrible and well, not really compost!! So, I am thinking that because we are having the borders done (hopefully tomorrow), I might mix it in with the soil that gets delivered, then start again. It did the same last year and I managed to put most of it on the current border and it mixed quite well after a few weeks. Any thoughts?
03/02/2014 at 19:58

Not surprised it's wet tracy the weather has been foul.

Turn it, drag it out and turn it back in, add some woody stuff if you can, and cover it with some old carpet or a plastic sheet for a while.

It'll soon get going again.

03/02/2014 at 20:02

And if you know anyone who keeps guinea pigs, chicken or goats get some manure to add to the compost - wonderful activator 

03/02/2014 at 20:50
It has a lid on the compost bin so hasn't got wet, apart from when I've left it open on purpose as it was too dry. I don't mean wet like that (didn't explain very well), it's like one big lump if soggy smelly 'mush', can't think if a better way to describe it really!!

I don't know anyone with any of those Dove, I did want a goat once but then I don't think I'd have a garden

Thanks guys.
03/02/2014 at 20:59

fork it all out . and fork it back in  adding some paper  and card as you go  then have tea and cake ps as DM  said cover with some plastic and carpet  not sure why it has to be carpet just a tradition 

03/02/2014 at 21:09
Even if it has a lid Archie? I just took some carpet to the tip yesterday, it had gone all horrible in my greenhouse when it's flooded!!
03/02/2014 at 21:13

where is the compost bin in the garden ?

03/02/2014 at 21:15
It's right at the bottom of the garden on the other side of my greenhouse (there is a pic of my garden on here somewhere). It's always been there as we inherited it from the previous owner.
03/02/2014 at 21:22

sounds like it wants a good mix with card and paper added.. the plastic and carpet  or anything handy will keep the heat in. i thought you had it in the greenhouse at first  ps it is sitting on the soil and not slabs ??

03/02/2014 at 21:46
Ha ha Archie, why did you think that LOL! I think it probably does need paper actually as don't think it has had much in. Wish I hadn't binned the manky carpet now!

I'm not actually sure what it's sat on as I don't think I have ever had it fully empty to see. I am guessing it may be on slabs as the area in front of it is concrete/slabs, although knowing the people that lived here before us it could be on anything!!!!
03/02/2014 at 22:20

Order some stuff from Amazon Tracy,great boxes for compost, they go great on my compost heap, it's just the right thickness and the worms absolutely love it! Needs a slight wetting, but great compost bin material!

03/02/2014 at 22:22
Thanks Dave, I have some cardboard boxes I need to throw out that came from work so will get some of that in. I also need to check for worms as I don't think there are many in so will need to get digging for worms......lovely
03/02/2014 at 22:27

why not mix some straw into your compost bin this will dry it up and add air into the mix for a while

Clueless

03/02/2014 at 22:29
Thanks Clueless, might give that a try too.....cardboard, straw and worms
04/02/2014 at 08:01

Tracey I had the same problem with the bin I had, someone told me there was no air getting to it because there where no holes , so I drilled a few around the top and it worked ... try it ..

04/02/2014 at 11:47

Compost needs approx. 50% greens and 50% browns (nitrogen and carbon) to add more 'browns' take sheets of newspaper and ball them up and push into compost (that takes air in too). The cardboard centres from kitchen roll etc can be pushed in to help with bringing air into the centre. I shred paper from my business and add that. Very important to turn it a bit: when it goes slimey, turn it once a week.

Amazon have a selection of compost turners for plastic bins. I would not add any carpet with a latex backing. You also don't need to add worms. If you can get a shovel full of horse manure that would be a great help.

04/02/2014 at 12:27
Mine has way too much green then and definitely needs some 'brown'. I've got some shredded paper and will keep some toilet roll insides. Hoping for some good weather on Saturday ready for 'operation compost bin'!!!

Thanks everyone.
04/02/2014 at 13:11

Good luck, and tell us how it is going in a couple of weeks, as you can tell, I'm passionate about compost

04/02/2014 at 14:57
LOL artjak, I'd like to be more passionate about it more I see it is a more of a necessity than a pleasure!! I will update when it is looking more like compost should
04/02/2014 at 18:13
Tracey-Newbie wrote (see)
Thanks Dave, I have some cardboard boxes I need to throw out that came from work so will get some of that in. I also need to check for worms as I don't think there are many in so will need to get digging for worms......lovely

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that worms from your garden wont do any good in the compost Tracey. Compost worms are different - much thinner, smaller beasties. The earth worms that are in your garden spend their time burrowing down into the soil, the little red compost worms like to live on the top of the compost.

It's strange how red worms suddenly appear in the compost, I don't know much about them but I DO know that having them is a sign of a healthy heap.

1 to 20 of 32 messages