London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
4 messages
07/01/2012 at 19:41

last year we had a problem with rats in the garden and then they started to come into the house, horrid problem was dealt with and we havent seen any for weeks now.  My compost bin was quite close to the house and we were advised not to use it.  Can anybody tell me how far from the house I should site it and how long I should wait before recommencing? Thank you

08/01/2012 at 21:23

We have had mice in the garden before now but they came for the bird food. These too came into the house eventually but now they have gone too.(fortunately)!

I would personaly suggest putting the compost bin at the very bottom of the garden if possible. 

09/01/2012 at 22:30

We also had rats in our compost bin, so we put down crazy paving straight onto the soil as a base for the compost bin. Worms and insects can still get through the small gaps between the paving to do their thing. Not had any rats since.

16/03/2012 at 16:22

We had a rat in our compost bin at the allotment and we found if you keep turning the compost the rats leave and have never come back. They hated being disturbed.

email image
4 messages