Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Composting green seed heads

I am cutting back aquilegias, poppies and foxgloves after the first flush of flowers. Can I safely compost these green seed heads or will they still grow when the compost is used next year?    My compost is generally brown and crumbly but has proved not to get hot enough to kill all seeds in previous years.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Normally green stuff rots down quite quickly even seed heads, they normally need sun to dry them off so as long as they're not too dry then you should be ok. Even if you end up with a few germinating, turning them back into the compost will rot them off very quickly.

• WeaveyDaveyWeaveyDavey Posts: 575

Hi, DKD: Shredding the material prior to composting would definitely speed the process, and might help raise the temperature of the 'mix' somewhat? Getting enough'browns' to equate with the 'greens' in the pile can be a challenge at this time of the year: torn-up cardboard, newspaper will help swell the bulk.

• Thank you both for the advice and particularly tip about adding more cardboard and egg boxes - I see a baking spree coming on! image

• diggingdorisdiggingdoris Posts: 513

I have a bucket by the back door which I put screwed up newspaper in the bottom of then all the veg peelings and any compostable stuff goes on top. That way there's always a mix when I empty it into the compost bin. An easy way to always have a brown and green balance, it means that the bucket doesn't get smelly either.