Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Composting

I like to compost as much as possible, I have questions about some materials that I am not sure about. We enjoy freshly squeezed orange juice so have a lot of spare orange skins. Currently we throw them away. Can they be composted, if not can they be used for anything useful. Many thanks, Stuart 

• StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,102
    Hi Stuart

I wouldn't place orange skins in as they have citric acid in them and would be hard to decompose and effect the mix . You can but a lot of kitchen waste in to your compost such as green waste, tea bags, banana skins, potatoe skins. All cut down perennial plants and grass cuttings. Always get a good balance of grass to other compost material as grass has a excelerated decomposing rate and if not mixed well we'll return a smelly black slim . All woody material should be no more than 10mm to 15mm in thickness and cut this down before it goes in. The smaller you can cut down your waste the quicker it will decompose .Water you compost and regularly turn your compost so all compost material is mixed well. In about 4 to 6 months you should have some beautiful home made compost to use in your garden
  • Steve, thanks what you say makes sense, I was trying to find something useful to do with the orange skins - I hate to throw anything away if it can be of use. Cheers Stuart 

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

Orange peel should compost just fine. Just try to mix them in with the other compost materials. Think how quickly mouldy oranges can turn green - similar fungi should break them down in the compost.

• StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,102
    Anything citric could attract vermin IMO. Obviously, they will compose but it's not something I would consider composting due to the acidic nature. If you compost

banana skins, on the other hand , then they contain potassium and will improve that trace element in your compost
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328

Sorry to disagree, Greenfingers Steve, but I think vermin are attracted to cooked food (particularly meat-based) in compost heaps, which is why you're only recommended to put raw vegetable matter in your heap.  I've never seen a rat eating an orange...  If you chop the peel into small pieces it'll compost fine, provided it's mixed with plenty of garden waste, grass clippings, shredded paper etc.  Whole half orange skins (if you see what I mean) tend to last a long time in the heap without rotting down - as eggshells do, too, unless you crush them.

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

I find orange peel breaks down quite easily in my compost, Remember most of the citric acid is in the juice that you drink, the peel is less acidic. You can also crush your eggshells up and add them to balance things out as they contain calcium which neutralises acid.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

The only veg waste that doesnt seem to rot down is Avocado stones. Citrus peel, I always throw in the heap. Its a bit much around Christmas, but its fine so long as it is mixed up well with other stuff. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

Sorry to disagree Steve.

I compost orange skins . Have done for decades and have never had vermin in my bins, nor have I had any ill effects because of  citric acid.

Devon.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    greenfingers steve, your information about orange peels is just rubbish, or should that be compost. And since when is adding banana skins likely to add much to the chemical profile of your compost?
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

Welshonion, I read recently that adding eggshells " improves drainage" like just how many egg shells??????

Devon.