Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

conflicting answers

Hello everyone, I'm new here so sorry if this has already been covered.

I have a shed that's 8ft square, the right hand side and rear of the shed is an 18in gap before next doors fence. Next door have a habit of lifting up their fence panels and just entering my garden whenever they like to collect their kids toys, I have a greenhouse which has been damaged with balls and other toys from next door and they couldn't care less.

I want to plant something to the side and behind my shed that is going to stop/hurt them. I have looked on various plant sites for inspiration, and all I get is conflicting information.

Can someone suggest anything I can plant? I have some Pyrocantha fire thorn which is going in different locations in the garden. I was looking at gorse, holly, hazel, laurel. some sites say these are all fine in the shade, other sites say that shade is not good.

Any help is greatly received

Dunk

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697
    I think you might find it difficult to get something to grow in the gap between the shed and the fence ( I may be misinterpreting what you are trying to do) due to the lack of light but you could try ivy. That would probably anchor the fence panels nicely once it gets going. Add a couple of prickly shrubs at the ends of the narrow corridor around the shed; the pyracantha would be perfect especially if you could train it up a trellis.
  • Blackthorn, its easy, cheap to grow, the thorns are evil! It's a great plant because it makes the perfect barrier, can cutback hard if needed, wildlife loves it too. 

• Thanks for the replies people.

Neighbours 100% won't listen to reason, I have told them about throwing the toys over but all I get is "he's a child, you can't stop him playing in the garden". I wouldn't mind but when they break the greenhouse windows (polycarbonate) all I hear is "it's a toy, it can't do any damage!!".

A few people have mention the Rosa Rugosa image

I also forgot to mention that the fence blew down due to the concrete posts falling apart. That's caused more aggro because they think it's my fault as I DIDNT STAIN THEIR FENCE. I could have wet myself laughing, all these year and I never realised that staining a wooden fence will stop concrete from ageing.

They have made it clear that I cannot have any plants that TOUCH their fence, so I may have to erect some type of screening my side for the plants to touch.

These lovely people threw cigarette ends over their fence into my garden (my family doesn't smoke) and torched the shed which I had to rebuild, no offer of help or money or even to clean up the cigarettes. I also have these lovely people emptying their rubbish onto my driveway, caught on my CCTV, the local authorities did warn them over that.

If I hadn't got cats I'd be getting a huge scrap yard guard dogimage
  • Nothing to stop you erecting your own intruder-proof fence inside the boundary - high enough to prevent reaching over etc. I think that would be my preferred option. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• How tall is the fence, Duncan? Are you and your neighbour agreed that the fence belongs to them? Is this private housing or local authority/housing association? How old are their children?

• LavandeLavande Posts: 171

How awful, I wouldn't want to get into any kind of argument with people like that so I agree that the fence sounds like the best solution.  If they can't see through their fence why don't you choose a wire one so that they can't burn it or lift the panels.  Obviously their behaviour doesn't appear sociably normal so a fence seems the choice least likely to provoke further antagonism - as I'm sure a plant would soon be the victim of 'accidental' damage.

• Loads of replies, nice

The houses are both private, next door has a son aged 6 that's a little sh1t. The fence is next doors property, it's standard 6ft panels on top of a 2.5ft wall.

I do happen to have a roll of 4ft high green mesh fencing. I was only just thinking about using that at 2 heights to stop them coming through. I've found some quality fence stakes on eBay for the right price so I think that is definatley the way to go.

Many thanks people image
  • Good luck 

There's an old saying. "Good fences make good neighbours!"  - hope it comes true for you. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.