London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
5 messages
16/08/2013 at 20:45

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/29443.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

16/08/2013 at 20:47

Conifers are going brown and dying one by one in the garden (see above photo). 3 conifers are like the above tree but a few agood tarting to go brown underneath? Any help or advice?

16/08/2013 at 20:56

We have seen a lot of that here in Derbyshire over the last year. One person told me that it was caused by a special aphid that attacks conifers. I don't know if that is true. Every tree that has been affected here has been dug out but I don't know if that was entirely necessary or not. From the extent of the damage, I would say it probably was a pragmatic approach to the problem.

Lyn
16/08/2013 at 21:02

There is nothing can be done with that one, you might as well cut it down dig it out and plant another, they grow quickly so in about 3/4 years it will have cought up.

Have a look and see if there is a bracken growing underneath, that is what killed ours, nothing grows around bracken.

They could have come to the end of their life, I dont know for sure how long they live, not very long compered to broad leaf trees.

16/08/2013 at 21:24

A lot of phytophthora about now and in recent years.  I have lost a juniper, photinia and neighbour has conifers in his hedge dying.  Nothing you can do to save them.  Could you put a feature there.....maybe a mirror or maybe an arbour?

email image
5 messages