Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Conundrum

hello. I have a real conundrum which I am at a loss to solve. Earlier this year I planted up some nice new glazed pots with different varieties of Lily bulbs. The pots are on my patio in full sun (when it shines that is). They started showing signs of life then we were hit by some awful weather (heavy wind/rain) that seemed to last ages. I went to work as usual and the weather had been raining and very misty that day, came home to find something had dug up one of the pots. There was a terrible mess all over the patio, some of the bulbs had been eaten, and the rest were scattered over the slabs. I had to wait for a dry day before I could tidy the mess and replant what had been disturbed. All was quiet for about a week, and I noticed that several other pots had also been dug up exactly like the first one.

As I thought bulbs are poisonous, am confused as to what creature has been doing this. The only animals that pass through my garden are cats and foxes.

Thankfully, most of the plants grew ok and are now dying back but I did notice one of the smaller pots had been disturbed again yesterday.

What is doing this ???

thanks

• Squirrels are the usual culprit.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DorcasDorcas Posts: 159

I agree with squirrels - little beggars love digging things upimage

• shazza3shazza3 Posts: 106

thanks for the replies but we don't have squirrels !!!!

• Rats would be my next suspect.

If the bulbs have just been chewed rather than eaten then foxes are a possibility (eaten bulbs will be gone of course.)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • shazza3shazza3 Posts: 106

we have been here since 2001 and although we have lots of magpies, jackdaws, robins, blackbirds, foxes and cats (not ours) we definitely have never seen any squirrels at all. we're in between two fairly busy roads and even if we hadn't seen squirrels we would probably have seen signs that the fox/cat had killed one or two of them. 

Sorry